does this sound right for a stratocaster?

nazcanlinesnazcanlines Posts: 26
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
i have a standard straight off the shelf squier stratocaster, the only modification i have done is put in new pickups. I noticed today something concerning the tone two tone knobs and i was wondering if this is normal.

The top tone knob controls only my neck pickup and out of phase neck and middle pickups. My bottom tone knob controls the middle and out of phase middle and bridge pickups. So far is this normal? It seems logical, but what really doesn't make sense to me is that the bridge pickup is not affected by me turning either tone knob, it seems to be independant of them, is that normal? Also one more issue, my guitar is fitted with three hot rodded humbuckers, (seymour duncan hot rails in neck and bridge, dimarzio fast track one in middle). My bridge sounds fine but my neck and middle are seriously dull, worse than when i had my original single coils in. Should i be putting 500k tone pots into my guitar?

thanks for your help.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    Everything you describe sounds standard. Crazy fender designs, I never really understood why they didnt go all the way the tone thing. However I have a serious question about you putting in new pickups and potentially new pots in a SQUIER. Maybe its worth saving up for a new guitar
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by djyman15
    However I have a serious question about you putting in new pickups and potentially new pots in a SQUIER. Maybe its worth saving up for a new guitar

Some of the Squier units are pretty nice, actually, and they're prime candidates for trying out some mods. I'm all for it...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    Squier comes up with some cool ideas, ill give you that, but i dont think tha any of them have had to do with making an affordable strat. I mean, maybe if you had a couple guitars and you wanted to try some mods that youd possibly do on your higher end guitars, then fine
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    it's normal. The bridge P/U is unaffected, it's essentially wide open.

Putting 500K pots in will make it brighter than it already is.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Originally posted by Pacomc79
    it's normal. The bridge P/U is unaffected, it's essentially wide open.

Putting 500K pots in will make it brighter than it already is.

the thing is, since i put these humbuckers in, my guitar sounds so dull. I was reading reviews of the pickups on harmonycentral.com, and alot of people there said that they had the same problem, but putting in 500k tone pots made it sound better. I am enquiring about it further here on the board because i think i can get more direct feedback if there is a dialogue between me and whoever replies to my post. Another question on tone pots: are different brands available, or is a tone pot a standard item? also does anyone have an idea of the price of tone pots (roughly)?
    Originally posted by nazcanlines
    the thing is, since i put these humbuckers in, my guitar sounds so dull. I was reading reviews of the pickups on harmonycentral.com, and alot of people there said that they had the same problem, but putting in 500k tone pots made it sound better. I am enquiring about it further here on the board because i think i can get more direct feedback if there is a dialogue between me and whoever replies to my post. Another question on tone pots: are different brands available, or is a tone pot a standard item? also does anyone have an idea of the price of tone pots (roughly)?

oh, you put in humbuckers.... yeah, 500K's are necessary to get the high end back.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Control_pots_and_knobs/Control_Pots.html

you can try 1 MEG Ohm even more treble.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    you can try 1 MEG Ohm even more treble.

Careful with 1-meg pots... those damn things will bite!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I second everything:D

Throw in some 500k pots and you'll have a different guitar.
    It won't sound really Strat-like or Les Paul-like, but it'll have some ooomf!

Good luck!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • just one more question on the tone pots, does branding make a difference? i saw the link earlier to stewart-mcdonald, but what i mean is, are some manufacturers better than others, or is a tone pot a standard item that does not really vary in quality?
    Originally posted by nazcanlines
    just one more question on the tone pots, does branding make a difference? i saw the link earlier to stewart-mcdonald, but what i mean is, are some manufacturers better than others, or is a tone pot a standard item that does not really vary in quality?

CTS is a brand that was used on the old Les Pauls. Telesonic (Eric Shannon) might know of some good brands, the ones he uses in his pedals are fantastic.

http://www.allparts.com

http://www.wdmusic.com