anyone ever played elixir steel acoustic strings?

nazcanlinesnazcanlines Posts: 26
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I bought a pair today because the woman at the counter assured me they were incredible, and they were double the price of ernie balls and d'addarios. I just put them on so they haven't worn in enough for me to make a judgement but what does everyone else who has played them think?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I've tried them before. They are much smoother and easier on the fingers than normal strings. They also last a little longer. I have heard that they break easier and are more "fragile" than normal strings, but I didn't really have that problem.
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I love them. They are all I play on my acoustic.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I like them on my Taylor, as they darken the sound a bit, and are comfortable, but I quit using them on guitars a play a lot because they sound duller as they age, to me anyway, and they get all fuzzy and frayed on the low strings. I always have extra High E and B strings around because I seem to break them a lot, and for 15 bucks, I don't want to keep replacing the whole set.

I just got some D'Addario coated strings, and they seem pretty cool, and cheaper.
    (Well, Squirrel has them in Austria on the guitar I brought over, now that I think of it.) Should ask her how she likes them!:)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I just put a set of the D'Addario EXP coated strings on my acoustic, and I've been really pleased. I've tried the Elixir's, and didn't quite get used to them. I would recommend the D'Addario strings...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I hate 'em. :(

The first time I tried them was a little over 2 years ago when I was asked to do an impromptu set at an industry party with someone else's acoustic. I had never heard of coated strings before and I couldn't figure out why my hands kept slipping off of the strings while I was playing. :mad:

Although people say otherwise, I'm sure I must've looked (and sounded) like a complete idiot.

Never again man... never again....
    www.PintoMusic.com
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • I love the coated strings, at first they were a bit hard to get used but I think the quality has improved with time and a bunch of brands are trying to get in on the coated deal....as far as price goes, Musicians' Friend has them for pretty cheap, Elixir nanowebs for $8.99 a set
    hate was just a legend
  • I put them on my electric and acoustic. I love them on my acoustic guitar. They're great. They last a lot longer and sound great. On electric, I have about half of the strings still left on it, I broke the other have. I was kind of pissed. $15 for stings that I end of breaking. I think I'll switch back to 11's instead of 10's. I break way too many strings with 10's. Any ways, if you get them off of musicians friend, they're only $8 a pack. That's not too bad.
    Your head will collapse if there's nothing in it -Black Francis