Help with tunning

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited September 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I want to tune the A string to a B how do I do it ? I can put it to a G And E but I can't find B. I am using a tuner.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I would pluck the 2nd b-string at the same time as the a-string while tuning the a-string up until the octaves match up.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • maybe fret the 7th fret on the E

maybe play a b chord sans the root and tune the a string up to the b
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I can't tune in manually. Show I go back with the tuning to find the B string or should I go forward?
  • fada wrote:
    I want to tune the A string to a B how do I do it ? I can put it to a G And E but I can't find B. I am using a tuner.

Put your finger on the seventh fret of your low E string. That's a B. You want your A string to sound like that. Your A string at the second fret is also a B. So now you tune your A string up, the equivalent of two frets. When the note sounds in tune with the E string, seventh fret, you're near enough. Try and hear if it chimes alright with your actual B string (of course in a higher octave).

When you're trying out tunings, you need to work on using your ear. We're often out, and not pitch perfect, but if you can hear in your head how a tuning sounds, strummed or picked open, it helps.

What tuning are you going for?
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    fada wrote:

A TO B IS JUST 1-FULL-STEP HIGHER (A to A# = 1/2-step -- A# to B = 1/2-step).
    TUNE YOUR A-STRING TO A - NOW PLAY THE 2ND FRET OF THAT A-STRING (WHICH IS B).
    THAT'S THE TONE THAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR (sing it, try to memorize that sound)!
    NOW BRING THE STRING UP TO THAT PITCH THE BEST YOU CAN BY EAR.
    NOW PLUG IN YOUR TUNER AND PAY THE HARMONIC OF THAT NOTE ON THE 12TH FRET.
    YOUR TUNER SHOULD NOW BE ABLE TO PICK THAT NOTE UP AND HELP ZERO YOU IN
    (after all your open 2nd string is B, which is just an octave above that B on your A string).

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫