Options

Settings for Blues

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
What settings do u use for Blues playing on an Amp?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Whatever sounds good.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    ah thats my mistake, I usually go for whatever sounds bad ;)

I like dirty blues, so I like the gain up to about 5
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • Options
    All amps are different.

Try turning it down from maximum a little at a time until your roomates or your parents don't complain. Then turn it back up a bit!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

If you gave an equipment list and a style to copy, we could probably make some recommendations.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    If you gave an equipment list and a style to copy, we could probably make some recommendations.

Exactly. :cool:

What kind of guitar/amp and what style of blues??
    www.PintoMusic.com
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Options
    AVERAge strat COPY By SQUIRe. Piss poor amP By squIre dat soUNDS Like piss hIttIn WATeR. MONKEYNUTS WANts to SOUnd lIKE HENDRIx. woTS hE DO??? and dont say bUY a new amP/gUITAr. the oNLY WAY he cud do That is iF he went on de game and fuk DAt! hes not sukIn nO ones cok TO SOUnd lIKE JImI....HMMm...WELL acTualLy Now iTS SPELLed oUt iT DOESNt sOUND sO BAD....
  • Options
    pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Originally posted by MONKEYNUTS
    hes not sukIn nO ones cok TO SOUnd lIKE JImI....HMMm...WELL acTualLy Now iTS SPELLed oUt iT DOESNt sOUND sO BAD....
    ...I'd say "spelling" is a big word for what you just produced...:)
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Grab a Dobro or an old stella or any old guitar you have lying around. Get really drunk have your woman if you have one leave you, get fired from your job, go sleep in a dump or the street rub some dirt on yourself and then play a few chords and sing about it. That's blues.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Grab a Dobro or an old stella or any old guitar you have lying around. Get really drunk have your woman if you have one leave you, get fired from your job, go sleep in a dump or the street rub some dirt on yourself and then play a few chords and sing about it. That's blues.

I love the old cartoon of an old blues looking cat sitting on a stool with a guitar singing:

Love to eat them mousies
    Mousies what I loves to eat
    Love to bite they little heads off
    Love to nibble on they tiny feet
    Be kind, man
    What should the gain , voice and volume be at?
  • Options
    Originally posted by fada
    What would the blues settings for a cheap 10 amp custom amp. Is the drive on or off?
    What should the gain , voice and volume be at?

Try the gain low with the drive "on", then slowly turn it up until it has the grit that you like, then adjust the volume for the whole amp to the loudness you want. The drive "off" will be more of a clean sound.
    The gain usually adjusts how much overdrive, and the volume is for the general loudness of the amp. Then play with the voice till you like the sound. It takes a bit of experimentation to find your sound.
    Good luck and enjoy!
    Be kind, man

Basically drive can be on or off.

given the fact it is a low wattage and probably solid state amp with a relatively small speaker I would run the bass at about 4 the mids about 5 and the treble at about 8 for starters.

Gain from 2-4 and volume to taste. I usually run the gain low and the volume high then adjust with my guitar volume knob.

Experiment. That will get you started. Tweak one knob at a time so you'll understand how they all effect your tone. Have fun.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.