G string to F#

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
How do I tune it and can I use a capo to tune it
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Can't you just tune it to the 4th fret of the D string? My brain is a bit scrambled right now and my theory might be a bit off.
  • Can't you just tune it to the 4th fret of the D string? My brain is a bit scrambled right now and my theory might be a bit off.
    That's what I do! (Especially for Nothing As It Seems and Oceans :)
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • fada wrote:
    How do I tune it and can I use a capo to tune it

I take it you're wanting to put your guitar in a D major slide tuning (DADF#AD). I would tune your guitar before putting the capo on, first. If you had an electronic, chromatic tuner you could just hit your G string and tune down the equivalent of a fret until you're in F#. Otherwise, you want your string to sound the same as the note you get when you pick the D string on the fourth fret. So you're tuning your G string down ...

When you put your capo on, depending on the make, you might want to fine tune your guitar. A cheaper capo is likely not to hold the strings down hard enough; even the best can be unreliable if you've got things wrong with your guitar or string setup. If your ears aren't the best, a chromatic tuner is perfect for this. Get one. They're very inexpensive.
  • Just let the record reflect that I am 100% for G Strings.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-