How to Use a Slide

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited May 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I recently bought a steal slide and was wondering the best technique to use.
Should I bar the whole fret when playing the bottom E string.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RoddersRodders Posts: 20
    I'm not so good with a slide, but I've got a little bit of experience. You can use it however you want, and there is quite a bit of scope.

I'm a hater of anything untidy, so I used to mute all the strings behind the slide with the sliding hand and use the picking hand to mute any strings that I didn't want to hear. That way you just get the string you pick and the note you pick.

However, you can leave the strings open behind the slide and get a much more jangly vibe....kinda rootsy blues maybe.

The other thing I found was that you have to develop a very gentle touch otherwise you can hear the slide hitting the fret wire. But not too gentle, otherwise you get buzz.

I think it was just too damn awkward for my perfectionist ideals. So it went in the kit bag and hasn't been out often.
  • leethalleethal Posts: 134
    It might seem obvious but not to some. Its important to know your open tunings. I really hate playing slide in standard.

DADF#AD - Open D
    DGDGBD - Open G

That way u can play full chords with your slide
  • J.D.J.D. Posts: 73
    Try using the neck pup and rolling back the tone a bit too.

I've never really got the hang of slide. I can hang with a twelve bar blues in open tuning, but my pitch for solos leaves something to be desired.

As with anything, practice, practice..........