Need help from guitar players!

inner senseinner sense Posts: 74
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm deciding wether or not this guitar is worth about $700. It is a used 86 gibson studio. I have seen the pictures of it and the guy said there are weather checking on the front bottom of the guitar. He said it will not affect the sound quality of the guitar at all. If i knew how to put a picture on here I would show ya'll. But i was just wandering if it is really worth it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I attack with love, pure bug beauty, curl my lips and crawl up to you.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    no it's not worth $700

Does it have dots traps or blocks as the inlay on the fretboard?

Traps are most desired. It's probably worth $500 or less. I have an 87 with dots I got for $500 and I probably paid a little more for it than I should have but I like it a lot and it's beat up. Set up is perfect. Great gig guitar.

weather checking dosen't hurt the sound. The good thing about that era was that the Studio's still had good quality ebony on the fretboards and they are wonderful guitars. $700 for that guitar though is on the high end.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • it has dots, it would actually be about $650 for it and like close to $50 for s/h. Thanks for responding so you think I should ask for a lower price?
    Originally posted by inner sense
    it has dots, it would actually be about $650 for it and like close to $50 for s/h. Thanks for responding so you think I should ask for a lower price?

I'd go $600 $650 is the most I'd pay and honestly I still think that's high. That's the price for a perfect model of that time period with traps. Like I said, I got mine, wine red with dots, and sperzel tuners (upgrade) for $500.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • thanks. So it is a good sounding guitar though right? So you think a new one would be about that price during that time period?
    Originally posted by inner sense
    thanks. So it is a good sounding guitar though right? So you think a new one would be about that price during that time period?

New Les Paul Studios go for around $1200+. I personally think the old ones are made better, and I like ebony a lot more than rosewood.

I think mine sounds great, and the set up is perfect.
  • so about $600 would be reasonable for that style of guitar in that condition.