guitar help

comfortably numbcomfortably numb Posts: 188
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
my guitar suddenly stopped working i.e. i pluck the strings and no sound from that comes out of the amp

so i took off the metal part that the cable plugs into, and there are 2 wires in there, a white one, which is connected to the metal peice, and a black one which isnt. im thinking the black one fell out... anyway.. how do i connect it back?
saw things so much clearer
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• You have to soilder(sp) it.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • what does that mean and how do i do it
  • and would this explain why my guitar isnt working?

thanks
  • I think it explains why it's not working. I am by no means an expert, but you need a soildering iron and some soilder.... I think you heat up the solider with the iron over the connection, wait till it bonds, and then it cools. I again am not sure, I did it with my dad years ago.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • my guitar suddenly stopped working i.e. i pluck the strings and no sound from that comes out of the amp

so i took off the metal part that the cable plugs into, and there are 2 wires in there, a white one, which is connected to the metal peice, and a black one which isnt. im thinking the black one fell out... anyway.. how do i connect it back?

Yeah, this happened a lot with my strat. You just need to go to your local hardware store, buy a solder iron(about seven dollars) and come solder. Basically, you melt the solder (using the solder iron) onto the input jack(a little tiny bit will work). Just hold the wire(the metal hairs) on the metal tab poking out parallel to the white one. (just look at how the white one is connected). BE CAREFUL!!!! THE SOLDER WILL BURN YOU!!!!!! Anyway, I hope this helps.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • take it to a local shop, they will do it for you, in most cases for free being such a simpel job, if your inexperienced at soldering, i wouldn't tackle the guitar as your first project.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Like Harrison says, it's an easy fix, and very common. A shop will fix it pretty cheaply.

If you want to tackle it. Get a soldering pencil (25 watt) from Radio Shack or some place like that. Buy some solder and a cheap jack similar to what you have. Practice on that, then tackle your own jack.
    Probably cost you 15 - 20 bucks and you'll learn something.

Things not to do.
    Burn your fingers,,,, burn the face of the guitar, burn the table you're working on..
    I've done all of the above! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

it's working again

(i soldered it back on)