guitar/amp problems

comfortably numbcomfortably numb Posts: 188
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
gosh this is the third time ive had to post this.. i keep putting it in the wrong forum:

i wasnt really paying attention and didnt think to post this in here and put it in all encompassing trip:

anyone here play guitar that can help me out?

ive got a Fender State-185 amp and a Fender strat.. and when i turn my amp on it turns on and all that and makes the buzzy amp sound and when i turn the volume up it gets louder as it should, but when i hit the strings on my guitar it doesnt come out of the amp. so is this a cable problem.. an amp problem.. a guitar problem.. or whatever?

thanks
saw things so much clearer
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    have you tried a different cable yet? It could easily be an ungrounded cable.

It could also be a floating ground, that's pretty common in SS fenders that get moved around a lot.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • i dont really know what a floating ground is.. what do i do about that?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    i dont really know what a floating ground is.. what do i do about that?

Take it to a repair shop that works on PCB amps, they will go through it and fix it. Mine cost about 90 bucks.

It's more of a boomy sound though and it can go in and out.

In your case it sounds more like a bad cable.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • ive rolled over it and just thrown it around so many times. i wouldnt be surprised

how long do cables last, and what does it take to make a good one go bad?
  • J.D.J.D. Posts: 73
    ive rolled over it and just thrown it around so many times. i wouldnt be surprised

how long do cables last, and what does it take to make a good one go bad?

Depends on how you treat em really.

Do you unplug it from the guitar and just drop it on the floor? Stuff like that will make them go quicker.

If it is a cable, you can usually tell though. It's rare that just die all of a sudden. They generally give you some warning, like cutting in and out when you move around. The ones I'm using now have been around for years.

I'd check the grounds as Pac suggested, in the amp and the guitar.

Are any of the Pots loose on the guitar? That a sign that you could have pulled a wire off of it's contact.