question about taylors

tylerpjtxtylerpjtx Posts: 201
edited December 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
i'm looking at the 412ce and 414ce.....i want a ce grand auditorium body style. on taylors site it says the 412ce is good for finger picking and light strumming....i'm more of a heavy strummer by habit...but i do a lot of fingerpicking type stuff, and i really prefer the 412ce....but it doesnt say much about style regarding 414ce...does anyone know? and does anyone have any suggestions on what i should do?
all these burning battlefields are now behind us, life has brought us here together to remind us, that love will rise above it all and just keep growin, life keeps flowing and every moment starts right here with us
-mason jennings
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Funny you ask!
    I have a 414ce. I love it,,, the neck is perfect for my style and is my favorite acoustic right now.
    You can finger pick and strum,,, it's a little bigger than the 412, and probably has a little more bass response to it. It's very versatile, so I can't say it's better or worse for fingerpicking than a 412. The smaller body makes it easier for your right hand, but you get used to anything.I play a lot of finger picking, I rarely use a pick, even on electric.
    One thing about Taylors,,, and a lot of higher end guitars is that each one, even the same model, sounds different. I was looking through a whole line of them and I liked a couple of higher priced ones, a couple of 414's didn't turn me on,,, then one 414ce did and sounded better than the 700 series ones that were a few hundred bucks more! You really have to sit down and play a few. Mine is 4 or 5 years old and sounding better and better as it ages, too.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    I have played many of Taylor's '14 series. I had wanted a Taylor 714-ce prior to finding the Breedlove I purchased. The 414's would be great for fingerpicking. I am not sure if they are good for heavy strumming, but would be fine for light to medium strumming.

The '14's are on the treble side of things. There is little bass response, and it is light and airy. It is a beautiful sound for fingerpicking, and they are nice and light for fingerpicking.

But the only way to know is to go play one yourself. If you like the way it plays and sounds, that is what is important. If you spend that much money on a guitar, don't go on other people's opionions--as you will get a good, quality guitar, no matter what brand you buy. Go on what feels and sound best to you.

The body shape on the 14's are absolutely beautiful...my favorite cosmetically to look at.

I did play a 14 series that had a shorter fret scale. I cannot remember what it was called, but they are on Taylor's website. It gave the guitar a bit more bass while retaining the beautiful treble that give it the Taylor sound. You may want to try them out.