Pink Floyd type sampling

Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I was wondering if anybody knows of places to get the background stuff that pink floyd uses(The airplane from In the Flesh, the clocks from Time, the cash register from Money, etc,etc,etc) The band I am in are interested in doing a few floyd tunes. Last night we were at the bar, and the band used the sample of the helicopter in another brick in the wall. I couldnt track down and of the guys in the band, and figured someone on here has to know. Responses are appreciated.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• try a synthesizer.

i'm not sure how you do it, but with the right synthesizers and programs it can be done rather easily.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I was wondering if anybody knows of places to get the background stuff that pink floyd uses(The airplane from In the Flesh, the clocks from Time, the cash register from Money, etc,etc,etc) The band I am in are interested in doing a few floyd tunes. Last night we were at the bar, and the band used the sample of the helicopter in another brick in the wall. I couldnt track down and of the guys in the band, and figured someone on here has to know. Responses are appreciated.

http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/ptr/pfloyd/interview/dark1.html

A lot of the samples were from sound effects libraries; some were freshly recorded using a lot of fancy oscillation effects.
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Would it be possible to take the actual songs and take away the rest? I am not talking about the stuff they used actual instruments for. We are mostly interested in doing Money and In the Flesh, so we are looking for the crashing airplane sound effect and the cash register sequence.
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Would it be possible to take the actual songs and take away the rest? I am not talking about the stuff they used actual instruments for. We are mostly interested in doing Money and In the Flesh, so we are looking for the crashing airplane sound effect and the cash register sequence.

I'm just guessing here, but it might be worthwhile looking out for a boot of studio Floyd sessions and outtakes.
  • it would be awesome to get an old cash register on stage and mic it... hehe :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Just an idea..

Not sure about the other songs. But certianly in Money the cash register starts off without any music. So you capture that sound pretty easily on computer with something like wavelab, so you have a loop of the cash register. Then if you have a laptop simply connect that up to the main desk and there you go.... one cash register sound!

Not exactly the most professional thing in the world.. but it would probally do the trick. (Well, in my head it works out ok!)
    [Kitchener 05 - London 05 - Hamilton 05 - Toronto 05 - Astoria 06 - Dublin 06 - Leeds 06 - Reading 06 - Wembley 07] -- I think I've had enough ....
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I use a program called cool edit (Protools is much better and quieter but more expensive) and sound effects libraries and then edit them into clips I can use. You can also take a digital recorder around and record your own clips then insert them in the same manner, then if you need them live, store the samples in a midi sampler keyboard or hit pad and you're golden.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.