Odd time signatures, poly-rhythms and the like

Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
The drummer in my band is extremely influence by Danny Carey and honestly is one of the best drummers I have ever heard. He is a student of the instrument and I think he has a desire to pursue that musically. I want to let our drummers influence to shine through but, I have never written in odd time signatures, and was wondering if anyone knows of a place where I can get some recordings of different stuff. Or, maybe someone here can explain it to me better. Thanks in advance.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Most rock is in 4/4

If you go to 3/4 it's waltzlike. (Think Elderly woman in a small town) that's in 3/4

Peter Gabriel wrote in some different signatures: Solsbury Hill is in 7/4

If you listen to King Crimson stuff, it may make your head explode! Some of that stuff is amazingly complex.
    I've seen them live with one drummer (Pat Masteletto) playing in 5, the other (Bill Bruford) in 7 or 9 beats, Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew in different signatures, Tony Levin in sync with one of the drummers. It's almost scary!

Frank Zappa did a lot of soloing in 5/4 , 7/4 , 9/4 time.

Try 5/4 first. Just get the rhythm by playing 1 2 3 4 5 over and over. Another way is think 1 2 1 2 3 over and over. For 7/4 think 1 2 3 1 2 3 4 until you get into the rhythm.
    I used to play in some polyrhythmic bands and it's like anything else. It's hard at first, but then, suddenly, boink, you're thinking in 5.

It's actually fun to solo in 4/4 over another signature, because you to figure out when it repeats. If you're playing in 4/4 and the drummer is in 7/4 the whole thing repeats after 28 beats. (4 x 7)

Good luck!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Living in the past by Jethro Tull is in 5/4 for an example.

And one of the most favorite songs of all time:

The riff from "Money" by Pink Floyd.

Your first assignment is to listen and figure out what sig that's in! :D
    Be kind, man

Time sigs have never been my forte even though I've been playing guitar for 11 years.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    What exactly do the numbers mean? I had the basic music schooling, and I can't remember for the life of me.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    BinFrog wrote:
    Is Money in 7/4?

Time sigs have never been my forte even though I've been playing guitar for 11 years.
    I think time signatures are over rated in a way. I don't care what the drummer's playing as long as I know where the check point is for being in time.

Every bar, every four bars I don't care as long as I know the sync points. But I'm not very technically astute when it comes to music, I depend on feel especially in singwriting.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    If Money is in 7/4 then I understand that. We could start some sort of time signature game. Maybe it will help several people get more familiar with such stuff.
  • chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    soundgarden has a lot of odd time signature stuff...some zep (if memory serves)...possibly dream theater...the beatles All you Need is Love and Here Comes the Sun. good luck with the odd time thing...the trick is to get the feel for it...which isn't always easy.
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    What exactly do the numbers mean? I had the basic music schooling, and I can't remember for the life of me.

For the sake of simplicity, the top number in 7/4 time , for example, means how many beats here are per measure.
    The 4 on the bottom means that a quarter note has one beat. For all most purposes , you won't be using that number much.
    The Money riff repeats every 7 beats. If you listen to the song and count to 7 over and over, you get the feel. That's a good song to try it with because it's a very distinct 7 beat.

When you're playing rhythm to a drummer in something like 7/4 time, you have to get that feel.
    If you're soloing, you should learn to solo to that 7/4, but , like surferdude says, there are a lot of places you can go from there. If you want something precise like Robert Fripp would play, you have to think in 7, or you can go the Frank Zappa route and let it rip with the 7 in the back of your mind, and try to find the end of the solo at the end.

If the drummer wants to play like that, have the drummer give you good cues like a hard beat every 7, or one two THREE four five six SEVEN, one two THREE four five six SEVEN, so that you can tell where you are in the mish mash of beats you'll be lost in! :D
    Once it comes to you, it's a beautiful thing! :)
    Be kind, man
  • odd-time drumming is not as complex is it appears. One of the methods I've used in creating odd-time drum parts is by determining how much an odd-time sig differentiates from common time (4/4), then altering my counting accordingly.

As an example, if something needed to be played in 7/8 time, I first identify that it is a bar which has one less eighth note than 4/4 time. Then, instead of counting a regular 1 (+) 2 (+) 3 (+) 4 (+), the way I would count a bar of 7/8 time would be 1 (+) 2 (+) 3 (+) 4 / 1 (+) 2 (+) 3 (+) 4... just dropping the "and" off of the 4th beat and immediately going to the proceeding downbeat.

For something like 19/16 time (thanks Dream Theater!), it is the same as a 4/4 bar which has three extra sixteeth notes tacked on the end. So I would count it like 1 (+) 2 (+) 3 (+) 4 (+) 123/ 1 (+) 2 (+) 3 (+) 4 (+) 123... with the extra "1-2-3" counting as the added sixteenth notes.

For recordings, I'd recommend Dream Theater's Scenes From A Memory or Images and Words.
  • One of the collest sounding 5/4 songs is last exit. Its what gives it that weird feeling.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • I never got how people could tell what time signature the piece of music was by just listening to it...

Can someone explain that to me? If anyone finds the time, that is.
    When this just feels like spinning plates.
  • Last Exit (the verses are in 5/4) is the only Pearl Jam song in an odd signature that I can think of.

Other good bands do it, here's a list:

By Alice in Chains:
    "Them Bones"- the verses are in 7/8
    "Dam that River" and "Rain When I Die"- 6/4 I believe

Soundgarden has a lot:
    Fell on Black Days is in 6/4, Spoonman is in 7/4, The Day I tried to live is in 15/4 or something along those lines

Radiohead has some interesting ones:
    Sail to the Moon has alternating ones: the intro goes between 7/4, 6/4, 5/4, and 2/4, among others. Some of their other stuff has some different times, try that out.

Most of the songs on Lateralus by Tool are in odd signatures, there are also some songs by Queens of the Stone Age and Primus that are in weird times.

Also, listen to Yes, Zappa, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Rush, and Led Zeppelin for some crazy time signature stuff.
    I believe the children are our future... unless we stop them now...
  • i try to play in 3/4 and 5/4 a lot because it makes certain time signatures easier...like 2/4 and 4/4, i try to make it complicated for myself...5/4 to me is extremly hard, harder than 7/4
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    temple of the dog: pushin' forward back; wooden jesus...both odd times
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • check out this band
    http://www.freakkitchen.com
    and
    http://www.bumblefoot.com

both bands do alot of 11/16 and fun stuff like that=)
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I never got how people could tell what time signature the piece of music was by just listening to it...

Can someone explain that to me? If anyone finds the time, that is.

In a nutshell, the bottom number is pretty much what you'd tap your foot to. If you find that the song repeatedly goes back to the start of its repetitiveness every time you tap your feet 4 times, generally the song is in x/4 timing. That's a very, VERY crude way of looking at it. The top number is not quite as easy, and I have a hard time figuring it out a lot of times. Listen to "Money", the bassline in particular, and you'll see how it's in 7/4. Count along with it 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 repeat.