Sweet Mother Of God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
edited December 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I received my amp late tuesday, a Traynor YCV50 Blue. I plugged my Les Paul into it, and holy schnikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to say it has every sound I have ever thought I need. The clean channel is so amazing, the overdrive just sings, and when I kicked in the boost it turned my Paul into and unhinged beast. I proceeded to work in a jam that evening with a few friends. It was just somethin that somebody started and it went on for what seemed like 45 minutes. We have had jams that were relentless. This was one of those. The lead guitar player in my band was jammin along, and a good friend that can really jam on the drums, but can hardly sit and learn a song. It was badass, and I owe it to the people on here for givin me the advice. Thank you, for helping inspire a magical jam. And, on a side note, doesn't everybody just love gettin lost in a song, either a really technical song, or a good hippie jam.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• told you :D

haha
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • I played a YVC50 blue last week with a Les Paul Custom, and I could not believe it. I want one now. I'm considering having a pair of Traynors.
  • I played a YVC50 blue last week with a Les Paul Custom, and I could not believe it. I want one now. I'm considering having a pair of Traynors.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing... already have the YCV40, but wouldn't mind branching out and getting a 50 or maybe a smaller one. Great Amps!
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!
  • Alot of the reviews mentioned having to put new tubes in it to get a good sound, but mine was all still in the packaging from the factory, and it sounded amazing right out of the box. Has anyone around here changed the tubes. And I was also wondering, can I put 2 different power tubes in. Say a 6L6 and an el34. Would something like that even be sonically pleasing.
  • I'm thinking about doing the same thing... already have the YCV40, but wouldn't mind branching out and getting a 50 or maybe a smaller one. Great Amps!

the smaller ones...the ycv20s arent as good...im considering getting one for when i go to college because i too have the ycv40wr and thats too much for a dorm...i heard the speaker makes the difference and that the vintage 30s in the ycv40s are perfect

dirty_frank i never undrstood how you could have the ycv80...the 40 is rediculously loud, how is that 80 and you have an extension cab!

dear lord
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • the smaller ones...the ycv20s arent as good...im considering getting one for when i go to college because i too have the ycv40wr and thats too much for a dorm...i heard the speaker makes the difference and that the vintage 30s in the ycv40s are perfect

dirty_frank i never undrstood how you could have the ycv80...the 40 is rediculously loud, how is that 80 and you have an extension cab!

dear lord

I find the master volume on the 80 is really articulate to control. It can go as loud as sin, but I can keep it down if I need to. I took it to school with me when I lived in dorm last year. There was one night.... my friends and I got fairly wasted and I cranked it up and busted out some serious PJ riffs. I swear to god, I think I shook the entire building and pissed off about 1300 people. :)

I find the extension cab doesn't make the amp louder. I actually find that it subdues it quite a bit, but it sure fills out the low end. It makes things shake, and that's awesome. Now I used it with a Marshall 1960A cab at a gig, and that made it so loud it was unbelievable. I had to keep the volume down at around 4 for a unmiced club show! I have a pic somewhere, where the rest of the band was gathered around the 612 stack comically plugging their ears while I stood there and grinned
  • man the newer traynors dont have a master
  • man the newer traynors dont have a master

All of them or just the smaller ones?
  • All of them or just the smaller ones?

all.........................
  • all.........................

When did that happen? News to me!

I can't imagine playing the 80 without a master! Does this mean that mine is worth more? ;)
  • Mine is brand new and it has a master.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    awesome. I love those jams.

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=32&cat=18&id=318

interesting that there is a master volume on the 50 blue and only channel volumes on the 20 and 40 watters.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Mine is brand new and it has a master.

well i wasnt sure about the 50Blue so I shouldn't have said that

but the 20, 40, and 80 dont

which makes no sense to me...i could understand on the 20 but 40 and 80 watt tube is fucking loud

not that i would try it, but i wonder if there is a mod that can be done to add a master volume knob
    well i wasnt sure about the 50Blue so I shouldn't have said that

which makes no sense to me...i could understand on the 20 but 40 and 80 watt tube is fucking loud

not that i would try it, but i wonder if there is a mod that can be done to add a master volume knob

sure it can be modded rather easily I'd think.. You just need to find an amp tech who will do the work. http://www.tedweber.com is a good place to look, he's got links to local techs. Fuchs Amplification would be an excellent place to ask as well. http://www.webervst.com/techreg/techreg.htm

It makes sense to me due to the tube compliment, essentially the 50 Blue is targeted at the modern marshall tone with a kind of boutique twist the master volume is essential to this tone. It's essentially a custom amp in that series.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    sure it can be modded rather easily I'd think.. You just need to find an amp tech who will do the work. http://www.tedweber.com is a good place to look, he's got links to local techs. Fuchs Amplification would be an excellent place to ask as well. http://www.webervst.com/techreg/techreg.htm

It makes sense to me due to the tube compliment, essentially the 50 Blue is targeted at the modern marshall tone with a kind of boutique twist the master volume is essential to this tone. It's essentially a custom amp in that series.

I have never actually played on a Marshall and had the chance to push it. How comparable is my Traynor to a Marshall tube?
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I have never actually played on a Marshall and had the chance to push it. How comparable is my Traynor to a Marshall tube?

It's very similar to the setup of a 50 watt Marshall Dual Super Lead.

Dual EL34 output tubes. It's warm and woolly like a british amp should be with a little more gain than a vintage single channel Marshall. The Tone Stack is probably marshallesque as well whereas the tone stack in the other amps in the series is likely more fenderesque given the 5881 or 6L6 compliment. Neither is better the character is just different. EL34's give a bit more mids and fatness while the 5881's have higher headroom and 6L6's yield a glassy clean tone.

The specs of the DSL

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=DSL50&pageType=SPECS

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=32&cat=18&id=318

your specs below, notice that the Traynor also lists the russian built Sovtek 12Ax7WA's (pretty much industry standard most reliable preamp tubes around) and EL34 (mullard copy) Electro Harmonix output tubes. You already have good tubes, no need to swap until you wear them out.

Just so you know, the brits call tubes/valves and the 12AX7 is denoted ECC83 over there. EL34 has a different designation as well overhere but it's rarely ever used. Both have solid state rectification (conversion of AC to DC) but the traynor has a tube rectifier emulator to supposedly provide the sag you get from a tube rectifier, it depends on the amp builder and the player as to whether you believe tube rectification is better or solid state rectification is better.
  • Also, I owned a tube amp before, but didn't have it long enough to wear them out. Will is be obvious when they need replace. I practice all the songs I learn on an acoustic, so I know I will be able to play them when I pick up the electric. I would say I play my amp 20 hours a month. How soon should I expect to need a tube change. And does preamp tube wear out faster than a power tube or vice versa?
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Also, I owned a tube amp before, but didn't have it long enough to wear them out. Will is be obvious when they need replace. I practice all the songs I learn on an acoustic, so I know I will be able to play them when I pick up the electric. I would say I play my amp 20 hours a month. How soon should I expect to need a tube change. And does preamp tube wear out faster than a power tube or vice versa?

Power tubes wear out faster, you will know, it will start sounding bad and usually you have volume issues. Preamp tubes last a lot longer on average. You'll probably be good for a while.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Power tubes wear out faster, you will know, it will start sounding bad and usually you have volume issues. Preamp tubes last a lot longer on average. You'll probably be good for a while.

yeah

i've had my YCV40WR since August i think and when i got it, it was off ebay and it was 3 months old...i use my amp about like 3-4 hours a day, so thats about 80 hours a month...and its 5 months down already just from me playing...and i probably have another 5 months
  • well i wasnt sure about the 50Blue so I shouldn't have said that

Find an older one ;) I wonder why they would take that feature off?