Early 70's Vibro Champ

Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
edited December 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
My buddy stumbled upon this amp. I assume it hasnt been played much, and he claims it to be in good condition. It was left with him to clean it up a little. Everything on the amp is functional, and the tubes still glow pretty good, and the tremolo works on it. I was just wondering what the value of the amp is. Also, what kinda sounds can you get out of it. He is contemplating buying it from him, and we thought it may come in handy to use when we record. Is the amp useful to have around for anything more than a vintage piece?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    My buddy stumbled upon this amp. I assume it hasnt been played much, and he claims it to be in good condition. It was left with him to clean it up a little. Everything on the amp is functional, and the tubes still glow pretty good, and the tremolo works on it. I was just wondering what the value of the amp is. Also, what kinda sounds can you get out of it. He is contemplating buying it from him, and we thought it may come in handy to use when we record. Is the amp useful to have around for anything more than a vintage piece?

Great amps, not as sought after as the Blackface middle 60's versions but they are very cool. Probably in the $200 - 250 dollar range depending on the various factors.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    pearlwax has one. i think he's pretty happy with it.

the wiring was very similar, if not the same, as the 60s blackfaces so i think they sound pretty good. i know he likes his.

check ebay for current prices. i'm guessing anywhere from $200-350 depending on condition.

the blackface prices went nuts a while back so the silverfaces have gone up too.

it would be great for recording.
  • They're pretty cool amps... I have a '65 blackface Vibro Champ, and I love it. It's a great amp to get Fender sounds at a more reasonable volume... like the sound of a Deluxe or Princeton at lower volumes. The 8" speaker gets a bad rap, but I have a Weber alnico replacement in mine that sings... still, a good 10" speaker would probably help a bit in the tone department. Does the one you're looking at have a tube rectifier? If it has 4 tubes, then yes... if 3 tubes, no. That would be my biggest question before listing a value. But, like the other guys say, if it's in good cosmetic and working shape, then it's probably got a value of $200-300.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.