New tubes

Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
edited October 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am pretty sure my Traynor Blue needstubes. It sounds like every bit of tightness is gone outta the amp. This is the first tube amp I have really been around, and I know the sound starts to disinegrate when new tubes are needed. Just not totally sure how it sounds. I could play the amp and get good sound for a few minutes after lettin it warm up for a 5-10 minutes, and then it sounded not dissimilar to a blown speaker in a way. Thats about all I can say. Oh, and that I know at least one of the tubes is totally fucked(it doesnt even glow).

Anyway, it needs new tubes and I was wonderin what are some good ones. EL34 is whats in it and I love that sound. I have checked out tubedepot and the number of tubes is pretty mind boggling. I was gonna go with the stock e-h originally until I found tubedepot, and their seemingly ridiculous low prices.

What are some good options to keep the sound close to what it was while improving on it a little.

Also, is there a reason that tubedepot has prices that low, when musiciansfriend sells them for 3x the price.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    ???hmm, this is the longest I have ever waited for an answer on here.
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    ???hmm, this is the longest I have ever waited for an answer on here.

Haha,,,, well it IS Monday! Everyone's out of the shop today! :D

It sounds like you need new tubes. Especially if one's not glowing or hot.
    If that's the case, then anything will sound better.

I just got some of these, but I haven't gotten around to putting them in yet, so I can't give you a review. They DID come to my house, though, so I know the company DOES exist! :)

http://www.tubedepot.com/jj-kt77.html

If your amp is older, or you've been playing it a lot, some new preamp tubes may be in order, too. It might be worth it to take it in and have a tech bias it and tune it up a bit. Sometimes, connections and tube sockets become a little loose.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Haha,,,, well it IS Monday! Everyone's out of the shop today! :D

It sounds like you need new tubes. Especially if one's not glowing or hot.
    If that's the case, then anything will sound better.

I just got some of these, but I haven't gotten around to putting them in yet, so I can't give you a review. They DID come to my house, though, so I know the company DOES exist! :)

http://www.tubedepot.com/jj-kt77.html

If your amp is older, or you've been playing it a lot, some new preamp tubes may be in order, too. It might be worth it to take it in and have a tech bias it and tune it up a bit. Sometimes, connections and tube sockets become a little loose.

It's less than a year old. Should I get it checked out? I can change to a few different tube types without having it bias, so will it need biased, if I stick with the same type of tube. I was looking at the Mullard el34 at tubedepot, but again really have no clue what I am looking at.

As far as preamp tubes, As far as I know they are fine, but what would somebody recomend.
    moster78 wrote:
    How often to tubes need to switched out? I've had my amp for a year, play it at least 30 minutes a day, if not more. Just curious.

I play a little more than that and it took around 9 months, but I really drive my tubes. I have heard of people have the same set for years, and their amps still sound good.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I play a little more than that and it took around 9 months, but I really drive my tubes. I have heard of people have the same set for years, and their amps still sound good.

Yeah, I don't really crank it up too often, and have been playing more clean than anything lately. I guess when it starts to sound like crap, thats when I'll know.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I have just had my HUghes and Kettner amp re-valved by a technician who gave me more useful information than anyone else ever. When tubes go, they lose power and volume, esp as they heat up.
    Unless you have a Mesa-Boogie, you wil need to have the new valves fitted by a technician who will adjust bias as necessary.
    A tube set can be matched in a box, but that means nothing as it is teh current they are drawing when installed that counts.
    If your tubes are not matched, teh amp will function, but teh tubes will burn out much more quickly.
    I was going to go wiht teh OEM Ruby brand, but he convinced me that Sovtek are teh most consistent and durable to use.
    He has a whole heap, and tries different ones in teh amp until they all match.
    It is usually teh powerr tubes and also teh "driver" tube that needs to be fixed, and a good tech will sort that out.
    I coulnd't get to a tech last time mine needed doign, so I just plugged a set in, which worked, but lasted less than a year.
    Cheap gear ususally means either seconds or disposal sales. Valves aren't that expensive that it is worth scrimping on them !!
    Music is not a competetion.
    I have just had my HUghes and Kettner amp re-valved by a technician who gave me more useful information than anyone else ever. When tubes go, they lose power and volume, esp as they heat up.
    Unless you have a Mesa-Boogie, you wil need to have the new valves fitted by a technician who will adjust bias as necessary.
    A tube set can be matched in a box, but that means nothing as it is teh current they are drawing when installed that counts.
    If your tubes are not matched, teh amp will function, but teh tubes will burn out much more quickly.
    I was going to go wiht teh OEM Ruby brand, but he convinced me that Sovtek are teh most consistent and durable to use.
    He has a whole heap, and tries different ones in teh amp until they all match.
    It is usually teh powerr tubes and also teh "driver" tube that needs to be fixed, and a good tech will sort that out.
    I coulnd't get to a tech last time mine needed doign, so I just plugged a set in, which worked, but lasted less than a year.
    Cheap gear ususally means either seconds or disposal sales. Valves aren't that expensive that it is worth scrimping on them !!

My amp is auto-biasing so do I need to get it biased?

Are the tubes that tubedepot deals, used or refurbished somehow.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Probably not, Boogie's are auto-biasing, which is why I said you don't need to get them biased, but tubes still need to be matched. Like I said, just cause they are matched on the box, doesn't mean they will be matched in teh amp. It is also crucial to check teh "driver " valve, in my case a pre-amp size one near teh 6L6's. He said it does more work than any other valve!!
    I don't know anything abuot tubedepot. I can't type either !!
    There is probably a support site for your Traynor whihc can tell you more about teh auto-bias.
    My tech has a pile of tubes, so he can try lots to get a set that works for your amp.
    He is an older guy who designs and builds his own amps as well. It isn't always easy to find some-one that good. It is always worth asking around teh shops in your area for a tech wiht a good rep. Shops often put a huge mark-up on work they broker, so it is better to deal direct wiht a tech, if you can. How many power valves does your amp run ?
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Those Traynors are self biasing. Don't need to worry about that. Most people yank out the original tubes that come with an amp right away, and put what they want. Tubestore.com has a nice description for each tube. Most people stick with JJ's anymore. That's the census around here. I personally was not impressed with them, but I've heard them in a lot of amps and they sound good. Just my bad experience, so I boycot them. It's all up to you and what you want. Tubes can last 10 seconds or 10 years. All depends on how much you use it.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    Those Traynors are self biasing. Don't need to worry about that. Most people yank out the original tubes that come with an amp right away, and put what they want. Tubestore.com has a nice description for each tube. Most people stick with JJ's anymore. That's the census around here. I personally was not impressed with them, but I've heard them in a lot of amps and they sound good. Just my bad experience, so I boycot them. It's all up to you and what you want. Tubes can last 10 seconds or 10 years. All depends on how much you use it.

Is there an easy way to see if yo have a matched set?

JJ's hmm. May have to check into them, but maybe not too.

I ran the master volume around 8 on the Traynor with the stock tubes and with it being the first good tube amp I have owned, I have to say I about creamed my jeans. I wasnt totally expecting the Traynor to be as raucous as it is.

How much of an improvement could I expect from a quality set of tubes?
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Is there an easy way to see if yo have a matched set?

JJ's hmm. May have to check into them, but maybe not too.

I ran the master volume around 8 on the Traynor with the stock tubes and with it being the first good tube amp I have owned, I have to say I about creamed my jeans. I wasnt totally expecting the Traynor to be as raucous as it is.

How much of an improvement could I expect from a quality set of tubes?

I've never heard a Traynor with JJ's yet, but there are guys on this site that have done it. It all depends on how sensitive your ears are. Some people don't hear the tone differences like others. Matched set's will be sold on a site. I buy my stuff from the http://www.tubestore.com
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    Hmm, after reading the reviews, I was kinda leaning towards the mullard el34 reissue at tubestore. Anybody know anything on these. I play mostly 90's rock, hard rock, with a little classic. Not sure how much of a difference a tube switch will make. I liked the stock ones, but I have heard that the sound can be improved with better tubes, so I will prolly get an extra set of those just in case I dont like what I order.