Possible gear purchase

Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
edited April 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I plan on makin a decent sized gear purchase by the end of the summer. My rig now consist of a Les Paul Standard, Alvarez Tele(barely used)Digitech Phaser ,Digitech Delay ,Gig-fx Chopper,Boss Tuner into a Traynor Blue. I also have a Crate Vintage Club 60 watter that has a bad transformer, and a Whammy pedal that I plan on gettting fixed.

I want to sweeten the sound of my Traynor with an extension cabinet. I was lookin at maybe an Orange 2x12. Could I make that worth with the Traynor. I know impedance can be an issue and I dont want to mess anything up.

On the other hand I could fix the Crate or get a second amp and utilize the stereo outs on the Chopper which is something that interests me as well. The Crate has a more mild but similar OD compared to the crunch I can get with the Traynor. Do I want the second amp to sound similar to my first or should I get something that kinda takes up the sonic space the the first amp leaves empty.

Also I am lookin for a new ax. I don't wanna get completely away from the Les Paul sound, but I want something with single coils. Are the new Gibson Melody Makers worth a shot? Would anyone recomend coil tapping the Paul?

Sorry for being longwinded, but its gonna be big gear purchase and I wanna get a lot out of it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    The very best cabinets I've ever heard are Bogner Shiva cabinets.
    I heard one a few few years ago and couldn't help but buy it (expensive, but so worth it).
    Cheers . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I'd suggest an amp with a different sound. What is your budget ?? What tubes does your current amp run ?? If they are 6L6/6V6, consider looking at something with EL84/34 to get into a different sonic space. Class A also has a different harmonic strucure which can be rewarding when done well. Be aware that lots of high gain amps give you the best tones when the gain is turned down a bit, not up. Start with the gain controls in a mid position when looking at amps to get the best idea of tones.
    Guitar wise, have a look at the Gibson BFG, has humbucker bridge, P90 single coil neck, chambered body, great tones.
    Melody makers are worth a look, as is the JUniour DC Special.
    Just look carefully at each individual guitar with those cheaper Gibson's. From what I have read, the build quality varies a lot.
    Can't help with cabs, don't know enough.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Orange Cabs are great. The new ones all house Vintage 30's though so you may want to check around to find out what speakers you want.

Orange, Bogner most of the better cabinet manufacturers use similar techniques.

I believe Orange is a 13 ply birch design and they are very solid.

Pine Cabs have a different more resonant sound and they are not plywood generally actually any non plywood cab will tend to be more resonant, but generally they are open back and the sound spills a lot more than with a closed back but you probably already know that.

That gig fx chopper is one of the coolest new things I've seen.

There are a lot of cab manufacturers to choose from too. Tone Tools, Avatar, Mojo Tone....Weber etc.

I suggest you check out speakers too. Eminence, Celestion, Scumback, Weber etc. Hopefully you can find some tones you like.

Scumbacks are supposed to be recreations of the old beloved Celestion G12 (greenbacks, blackbacks) that people love so much. I'm going to be getting a Heavy 55 watt for my orange, so I'll let you know. I believe Ted Weber builds them for Scumback.

You can replace the iron in your vintage club with a new tranny from mercury magnetics. They are freaking excellent. Heybour(sp) may also have one for you but they are generally vintage designs I think.

Mercury Mags are the shit. http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/mainframe.htm

Check out some SG's. Especially the SG Classics and also try out Gretsch (Super Jet etc)
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • +1 on the SG Classic, P-90's. Worth a shot.
  • look into http://www.avatarspeakers.com for a nice and big 2x12 cabinet. Get the traditional with either G12 H30's or Vintage 30's or one of each for $288 (and it will probably get to your house in 3 days.

That's what I'm running thru right now. I have a G12 H30 and a vintage 30 set up. I'd like another one with either two 20 watt green backs, or two vintage 30's all.

Vintage 30's will probably help out that Traynor more then you think!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • i agree with the people who said about SG classics for a singlecoil sound. also strats but not the cheap ones the pickups hum and the frets rattle