Learning Guitar ***need help***

edvedr13edvedr13 Posts: 241
edited September 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
This will probably get moved and thats fine, however,

I am thinking about starting/learning to play guitar and I want to buy myself a guitar. Now, keep in mind, I can run a stereo with the best of them, but knowing what to call specific instruments, I am shit at, so I will try to describe what I am looking for and if you guys have any insight, thanks a bunch.

I am looking for a normal acoutic guitar, yes those brown wide ones, sorry I have no idea what they're called...I have included a pic oh what I am looking for. Basically I am looking for price range, size, what types of strings...etc.
http://www.acousticguitar.net/home.html

Thanks guys
Joe
Joe
"It's Evolution Baby"
Montreal '00; Toronto '03; Montreal '03; Kitchener '05; London '05; Hamilton '05; Toronto '05; Toronto '06 x2; Boston '06; Toronto '08 x2 (Eddie)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• classical guitar? steel string? semi-acoustic? jazz? sheraton gibson? ovation? mellotron? :D

"brown wide ones"... :confused:

anyway, the easiest way to start is to buy a low-price classical (Spanish) guitar like this one. because this type of guitar has nylon strings, it's easy on your fingers and you won't quit after two weeks because your fingertips are bleeding.. ;)
    then when you've gotten better (few months or a year..?) you can get a steel string (or Western guitar) like this one to learn to play more professionally.
    you'll notice classical guitars have a wider and shorter neck than steel-strings, this is just something you have to get used to... it's pretty tricky at first.

or course, all of the above depends on your own personal taste and style. i have both types of guitars and after years of playing i still prefer my Spanish little friend. :D

hm.. messy story. :o hope it helps anyway!
    and good luck! your guitar might just become the best friend you ever had!
    Jon Stewart: "[about Russia's new president]...Dmitri Medevvvevv.... Dmitri Meh..... Dmitri M.! Or... as George W. Bush would probably pronounce it... Eddie Vedder."
    You didn't include a picture, thus we have no idea what you are looking for. With a little guidance, I can help. You linked to the homepage of that site, and since the site uses frames you didn't know that the page you thought you were sending the link to was actually inside the "home" frame, and always will be. If you go to their site and find the page you are looking for, right click the link to that guitar/page and hit "open in new window". That is the URL you want to paste here.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Davanita wrote:

Ah fender:rolleyes: I love them:)
    I don't want to be the fool that's behind me but I am...

I'll Hold The Pain... Release...

Yourself
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    My 2 acoustics:
    http://dreamt.org/spinfrog/guitars/Both-Acoustic-Guitars.jpg

The one on the left I just got maybe 2 months ago. It's absolutely fantastic. Breedlove AC25/SM acoustic electric.

The one on the right I have had for a good 11-12 years. It's a Montana.
  • inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    order that one made by esteban! if i knew anything about acoustic, i'd try to be more help. someone had to get esteban mentioned here though.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • BinFrog wrote:
    The one on the left

ok what do you want for it? dollahs? sexual favours? me doing your laundry for a year? name it.
    Jon Stewart: "[about Russia's new president]...Dmitri Medevvvevv.... Dmitri Meh..... Dmitri M.! Or... as George W. Bush would probably pronounce it... Eddie Vedder."
  • The first guitar I got was a hohner acoustic for $99. Made in the USA. I still get compliments from many who play much more expensive, well known brands (feender, Alvarez, Washburn, Martin (not))on how great the guitar sounds.

Mind you, the guitar sounds great, not my playing......
    "You would be punctilious in assuming that."
  • Sounds to me like you're looking for a steel-string dreadnought-style acoustic. Like this:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-D30S-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=515929

I'd say for your first one, set your upper limit around $300 and find one that fits you. If you're going to learn to play, make sure that the guitar is comfortable to play. Definitely have a salesperson help you out in a store you can trust. You'll be miserable if you don't find the right guitar to fit your hands/body size. I know the action (string distance from the fingerboard) on my first acoustic way way too high, I had to press really hard to make chords. It was terrible; I gave up and didn't relearn until college.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Davanita wrote:
    ok what do you want for it? dollahs? sexual favours? me doing your laundry for a year? name it.

You wish ;)
  • Whatever youdecide to go with, just STICK WITH IT. I cant stress that enough. Make it a point to play for 1 hour EVERY DAY and you will see a vast improvement after a year. Plus, chicks dig it.
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016, 2024
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022, 2023
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    Baltimore- 2024
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016 (night 2) , 2024 (night1)
    East Rutherford, New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - Lollapalooza 2007
    Seattle- Gorge 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Art & Lutherie
  • Go to Guitar Center and get a start-up guitar kit. That's what I did, I got a Fender acoustic that comes with a tuner, gig case, extra strings, a re-stringing tool, some picks, etc...along with a dvd that can help get you started. All for $200. That's what I bought a little over a year ago, the guitar sounds great and it's nice to have all that other stuff right away too. I've played for roughly an hour every day since then and I'm a reasonable player now...can probably play 30 or so songs...many PJ included!
  • Uncle Neil wrote:
    Go to Guitar Center and get a start-up guitar kit. That's what I did, I got a Fender acoustic that comes with a tuner, gig case, extra strings, a re-stringing tool, some picks, etc...along with a dvd that can help get you started. All for $200. That's what I bought a little over a year ago, the guitar sounds great and it's nice to have all that other stuff right away too. I've played for roughly an hour every day since then and I'm a reasonable player now...can probably play 30 or so songs...many PJ included!
    +1...amazing kit!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy