Help with Yamaha drum kits

*Toastie*Toastie Posts: 59
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Yo

Im thinking of getting a new yamaha kit soonish. Can anyone tell me about yamaha drums like whats the best and stuff? Im thinking along the lines of a maple custom definitive kit. Any info on these dudes from anyone who has played it or any of their kits would be mad!! Thanks.
www.myspace.com/allmankind
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• they make their top kits of 4 types of wood-maple, birch, beech and oak.
    matt cameron uses birch, dave weckl uses maple and so on....

it depends on what sound you prefer, what music you play what level are you on....you can learn a lot on their website.

i personally played maple, beech and mahagony kit. i own mahagony ludwigs(starter set) but i prefer maple because of its guts-moving lows....
    me: www.myspace.com/mariomarcinek

my band: www.myspace.com/mofokillerain

official site: www.stonerock.sk
  • *Toastie wrote:
    Yo

Im thinking of getting a new yamaha kit soonish. Can anyone tell me about yamaha drums like whats the best and stuff? Im thinking along the lines of a maple custom definitive kit. Any info on these dudes from anyone who has played it or any of their kits would be mad!! Thanks.

Buddy of mine just sold his Maple Customs, Had the hit for almost 10 years, just a great tone.

But then the new DW set he has sounds even better.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • *Toastie*Toastie Posts: 59
    they make their top kits of 4 types of wood-maple, birch, beech and oak.
    matt cameron uses birch, dave weckl uses maple and so on....

it depends on what sound you prefer, what music you play what level are you on....you can learn a lot on their website.

i personally played maple, beech and mahagony kit. i own mahagony ludwigs(starter set) but i prefer maple because of its guts-moving lows....

Yeah i play drums full time so...yeah thats my level. Its just that i dont try and keep up with drum products and stuff. Ive never really been interested unless i was going to buy something and had to research it. I know all about Yamaha now but i just dont really know what this kit im looking at sounds like and cant seem to find a shop that has one in stock so i can hear it. But its rock and i love maple. My masters custom i got at the moment is maple and its great...but its time for a change. Thanks for your help.
  • Why are you thinking about purchasing a kit manufactured by Yamaha, in particular? I'm not asking in a criticizing or defensive manner, rather a curious one--so I can give you a complete answer.

In the early 1990's I played a set of entry-level drums made by Yamaha—from their short-lived, Power V Special line. The shells were made of Philippine mahogany and were covered in what I would describe as a blood-red finish-ply, and to honest they were quite attractive. The hardware that came with the kit was quite sturdy and strong, if a little too bulky. The hi-hat stand and the bass drum pedal were adequate. I never used the snare because it was made out of metal (aluminum?) and was way too bright for my tastes—but that was just me. Overall, the kit was well-made and was well-worth the money.

Now to sum up my motivation for buying the kit, I purchased it because I needed a “quality weekender” so I could play out with my band but didn’t have to break the bank, so to speak. The Power V Special fit was perfect.

A few years later, mid-1990’s, I upgraded to a set of custom drums because my skill-level increased and my needs changed—as did my budget. I was going to go with Yamaha until I was put in contact with a small, custom drum manufacturer who offered me a mild discount. It was quite an experience because I was able to ultimately decide on the type of wood, the number of plies-used (shell thickness), and the sizes of the shells. I still own the drum kit I purchased from them, and will never need to buy another because these babies just get better with age. They’re not Yamaha’s but Yamaha is more than capable of making drums just as nice--so this is not a knock on them.

There are two points I am trying to make here: you shouldn’t limit yourself to a particular brand--unless of course you have a specific reason, like a discount; and two, you should be more focused on buying a set of drums that fits your needs than anything else.

In return, I promise you will gain valuable knowledge and perhaps a greater appreciation for your instrument; and you may even save a little money. And who knows, when your research is all done you may end up buying a Yamaha anyway because they make quality drums.
  • yamaha drums suck!!!!! buy a pearl there WAY better cause u can drop them off a 2 story building and they wont break
    cymbols get pastie there the frekin best

pearl and pastie tommy lee can use them so can we!!!!!
    happy cristmas and a merry new year!!!
  • i am personally partial to tama drums and zildijian cymbals
    "I wish I was Australian at home under the sun" Eddie- Perth 03
  • *Toastie*Toastie Posts: 59
    Yo all. I bought a maple custom definitive. The reason i went for yamaha was ive played there stuff before and ive always felt most comfortable behind them. I Used to play a pearl masters but i can honestly say that it doesnt sound as good as this kit. Its pretty sweet. As far hardwear goes one of the reasons i got this one because it needs less than a pearl masters which is good cause i hate lugging heavy crap around. But man it sounds good. I stoked. Oh yeah got the maddest deal ever so that also helps! Cheers
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    *Toastie wrote:
    Yo all. I bought a maple custom definitive. The reason i went for yamaha was ive played there stuff before and ive always felt most comfortable behind them. I Used to play a pearl masters but i can honestly say that it doesnt sound as good as this kit. Its pretty sweet. As far hardwear goes one of the reasons i got this one because it needs less than a pearl masters which is good cause i hate lugging heavy crap around. But man it sounds good. I stoked. Oh yeah got the maddest deal ever so that also helps! Cheers

That's all the reason you need. Sounds like you made a quality purchase...

Just wondering, have you ever tried out Premier or Ayotte? They both feel fairly similar to the Yamaha stuff, and both are really nice mfg's. My old drummer has a gorgeous Premier kit, he picked it (just barely) over a similar Yamaha kit.

Me, I play Sonor. Badly. But the kit is pretty.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.