Gibson Les Paul-Faded

pieceofdustpieceofdust Posts: 52
edited December 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anyone own one of these? Can't decide what I think of it. Sometimes I think it is in my price range and a badass guitar. Other times I think it's not the real deal so not worth my time...advice?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Post a pic and I'll have a go.
    I don't know where you are, but there have been LP standards going off on e-bay for $1500 -$2000 lately in Australia, so maybe that is something to compare to.
    Love it or hate it, e-bay is a good barometer of values, so check there to see how the faded measures up.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • I've seen several "faded" Les Pauls being made from Gibson. I've never played one, but I've always been turned-off by the whole faded/quick-aging process that guitar makers are now doing. Wouldn't you rather get a shiny new Les Paul standard (or get the cheaper LP "Classic" model), then play the crap out of it for 20 years? You'll get that faded look and it'll be authentic! Also, you might want to look into the resale value on a faded guitar. I'm not sure what it is, but if it's something that doesn't appreciate well, you may want to consider that. Generally, Gibson's hold their value very well, but I can't vouch for the "faded" variety when it comes to the resale value. Good luck w/ your decision and your future guitar!
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

===========================
  • Hey...i bought one of these in June. I absolutely love it. Sure it may be Gibson's way of making an LP for under a grand, but it plays extremely nicely and with the P90's it has an extremely warm sound with a great crunch to it. The trick to truely getting great tone out of it is keeping the volume at 8 on the guitar. I have the TV-Yellow faded LP, the doublecut with the P90's. If we're talking the same guitar, it's a great guitar for the buck, great durability, and if you were wondering about the tuners, probably a wise idea to change them as that's my only slight complaint as they could be better, but if you know how you play a guitar, you wouldn't need to change them. I said i'd change them, but haven't had the need at the moment.

hope that helps

-Seth
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    what guitar are you talking about? I typed in "Gibson Les Paul Faded" on Musician's Friend and this is what I got.....http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Faded-60s-Neck-Electric-Guitar?sku=517524

no way would I pay $2000 for that guitar.

but if you are talking about the DC with the P-90s that sells for $799 that the poster above me is talking about, yeah, I'd definitely buy that one. I just bought a used Les Paul Standard with 490/498 pickups and I was already thinking that DC with the P-90s may be my next electric because the pickups on that one should get a more bluesy tone. but I'll probably end up getting the SG with P-90s since I already got a Les Paul. and that's a long time off since I need to get my amp paid for and then get an acoustic.

on the $799 LP, I read all the reviews on MF and Guitar Center. the chief complaint seems to be the same as with the Studio....craftsmanship problems, ie guitars that are sloppily put together. but if you buy off one of those sites, you can of course return it. since I got a Standard already, I think I'd personally go with that $799 (or the SG version) guitar over a Studio.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I figured he was talking about this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Vintage-Mahogany-Electric-Guitar?sku=517536

Seems like a great deal to me. It has Burstbuckers and uses the same materials as a standard... don't see why it would be any worse than any other LP. I was close to getting one a couple of months ago, but I figured it was too much guitar for my skill level and went with a cheaper Epi LP instead.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    I went back and found this one.....http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Faded-Double-Cutaway-Electric-Guitar?sku=517512

that's the one, right? yeah, I'd give that one a shot (because I'm a blues fan). I also went back and looked at the SG version (the 2xP90 version) and for some reason, it is $1000. but I'd definitely rather have that LP than an LP Jr with only 1 pickup
    DOSW wrote:
    I figured he was talking about this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Vintage-Mahogany-Electric-Guitar?sku=517536

Seems like a great deal to me. It has Burstbuckers and uses the same materials as a standard... don't see why it would be any worse than any other LP. I was close to getting one a couple of months ago, but I figured it was too much guitar for my skill level and went with a cheaper Epi LP instead.

it is mahogany/mahogany whereas most LPs are maple/mahogany. the reviews I've read seemed to imply that the tone on that one isn't close to a good Les Paul. plus, it has the very fat neck. I would go with the Studio with the 490/498 over that one with the burstbuckers.
  • I think McCready plays one of those LP DC's, too! Another reason to purchase it and that's an excellent price for a Gibson. I also saw a "faded" Gibson Flying V for under $600. I'm not into this guitar, but that's another great deal for a Gibson. Also, if you're shopping off Musician's Friend, check their clearance deals. I bought my Les Paul Standard off the "blem" clearance list. "Blem" stands for blemished, or it could also mean somebody bought it and returned it. Anyway, when I received my "blem" LP Standard, I didn't find one thing wrong with it -- even had a "pro" look at it and he concurred. There's a 45-day return policy on those "blem" guitars as well so you can save yourself a bundle (I believe mine was something like $300 cheaper???).

Here's a link to a LP Classic "blem" in case you're interested:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Classic-Electric-Guitar?sku=512001X

Isn't guitar shopping fun???? I love it! Good luck!
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

===========================
  • I've played it. There's an old thread about it if u wanna dig it up... type in "Mike's New Yellow Gibson DC"
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • I think he means the Les Paul Standard Faded.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    why not just buy an LP classic for 1700, and chance the PU's for another 200$, and you'd still have 100$ To spare.
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Personally, I'd rather look at a nice Epiphone Elitist or Custom, or something like that, instead of the cheapie Gibson Faded.

Big differences:

Faded are all mahogany (somebody said this already), whereas a regular Les Paul has a maple cap on a mahogany body. That means the Faded will have a slightly darker tone, and slightly less sustain.

"Faded" is another way of saying they cheaped out on the finish. While I actually prefer the feel of a matte finish, a regular Les Paul's deep lacquer will ensure a radically longer life, not to mention the effect on the tone (a little woody, a little less punch).

The Faded LP has a '59 neck profile, which is a bit thicker than the '60s neck profile on newer LP's. Not better or worse, just question of preference.

Burstbuckers are great pickups if you want a classic PAF tone. Nothing bad there. I'd prefer alnico Burstbuckers over any LP with ceramic pickups. But again, it's a question of preference.

Honestly, there isn't anything terrible about the Faded LP's, but they aren't exactly the full LP deal, either. If you want a more typical LP, and don't mind the Epiphone name, there are much better guitars in that price range.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    edpearson wrote:
    I think McCready plays one of those LP DC's, too!

Mike's is an LP Jr. DC. One P90 pickup.
  • Personally, I'd rather look at a nice Epiphone Elitist or Custom, or something like that, instead of the cheapie Gibson Faded.

Big differences:

Faded are all mahogany (somebody said this already), whereas a regular Les Paul has a maple cap on a mahogany body. That means the Faded will have a slightly darker tone, and slightly less sustain.

"Faded" is another way of saying they cheaped out on the finish. While I actually prefer the feel of a matte finish, a regular Les Paul's deep lacquer will ensure a radically longer life, not to mention the effect on the tone (a little woody, a little less punch).

The Faded LP has a '59 neck profile, which is a bit thicker than the '60s neck profile on newer LP's. Not better or worse, just question of preference.

Burstbuckers are great pickups if you want a classic PAF tone. Nothing bad there. I'd prefer alnico Burstbuckers over any LP with ceramic pickups. But again, it's a question of preference.

Honestly, there isn't anything terrible about the Faded LP's, but they aren't exactly the full LP deal, either. If you want a more typical LP, and don't mind the Epiphone name, there are much better guitars in that price range.

Never was impressed with the fret work on it either. I have a $300 Dearmond with better fret work.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • It's not very comfortable to play IMO
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...