Acoustic Advice

given2fly78given2fly78 Posts: 404
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi! After years of wanting to learn acoustic guitar, I've finally gotten myself one. I don't want to take lessons, I would like to teach myself at least the basics before I contemplate lessons (I have done this with other instruments). Anyone have any good suggestions for books that will teach a beginner?

Any help is much appreciated!
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. "
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I saw Hard To Imagine LIVE at MSG!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    this is the one i used but there are tons out there:
    http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/082561936X/qid=1124457408/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1_1/701-6562281-2110745

but i already had a knowledge of music from playing piano etc. so i mostly learned by ear once i got the chords figured out.

of course, i also never developed into a good guitar player either.
  • SquidgeSquidge Posts: 145
    find a book that teaches you ALL the major open string chords. A to G. and maybe a scale or two.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    i starting playing about a year and a half ago. my recommendation is to learn all the popular chords and how to get from one to the other with ease. learn some simple scales too. this will help tremendously with finger picking songs. i would also try to avoid tabs at first too...they can get you into trouble technically if you start out on them too soon.
  • Spook FishSpook Fish Posts: 241
    hey given2fly78: try playing 'the needle and the damage done' by neil young.
    its dead easy and a real joy to play. it kinda shows you adding extra notes in a condesending way without changing chords. have listen and you'll know what i mean. truly a great, if only short song.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer