Options

question about theory

a_gherkina_gherkin Posts: 77
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
im getting to grips with the absolute basics of theory and was just wondering if you can change between different keys during a song, if so, what governs the keys which you can change to, it is all somewhat complecated for my feeble brain!!

Cheers
Gherk
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Sure you can change keys. Usually the most important part is the transition to the next key. There will be a scale for the key your in, and a scale for the key you're going to. Use the notes that are present in both chords and use them to bring it from the original to the next key.

Actually it's not that hard. Every cheesy country song does it!

Sing about your wife she left you in : A D E D A D E D
    Then bring it up to B E F# E B when you are making your point that your dog is stayin' with ya!

( No offense to the country lovers out there!)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

cheers
    Gherk
  • Options
    Remember,, it's just a theory,, not a law!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    im getting to grips with the absolute basics of theory and was just wondering if you can change between different keys during a song, if so, what governs the keys which you can change to, it is all somewhat complecated for my feeble brain!!

Cheers
    Gherk

You most certainly CAN change keys during a song. It's called a modulation.

People do it in different ways. It can be done smoothly or abruptly depending upon your goal. To do it smoothly, you go from one key to a closely related key using a chord which resides in both keys. To do it abruptly, you go from one key to another that is very distantly related (or not at all related) using no transitional chord--- perhaps just one note that resides in both keys and you just jump.

Does that help?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    There's a key-change in "Thin Air"... of course, that song doesn't really follow Western music theory at all anyways. I mean, what key has E-major, C-major, D-major, and A-major in one progression? And the chorus is F, C, G, D and A major chords... Then switch to the end, where they move to B, G, A and E chords. I mean, how messed up is that?

Key point: It sounds good!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.