an effect pedal to boost my solos

a_gherkina_gherkin Posts: 77
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
i know the exact tone i want to achieve. it is the same tone that stone gets on his 'all those yesterdays' solo on the single video theory documentary, but i just cant seem to find it. i was guessin it was achieved by using a tubescreamer pedal as i know that band are bigs fans of it, but i heard this was a much mellower pedal which couldnt really achieve those kinds of sounds. anyone got any ideas?
im playing through a marshall jcm900, if that makes any difference

cheers,
Gherk
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I don't know the right answer to your question, but a compressor might be what you're looking for.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • mccreadyisgod always recommends a compressor. I've never heard the solo, but if it's a mellow tone, then probably the big muff is the FX. It extends sustain and tone for a real mellow tone. And it makes since since Mike and Stone are huge Hendrix fans, because Jimi used one as well as Santana.
    Support you local anarchist
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    As far as I know, Mike 'n Stone never used the Muffs... the ATY solo doesn't sound Muffy at all. Don't have SVT yet though. But a compressor would be more likely, or maybe one of the many special dist. pedals Mike has owned.
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    it's not a muff. that i know. given the era and that it was a rehearsal type deal, i'm guessing either the TS9 or SD9 or a combination thereof.
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    ya im with exhausted on thnis...its def the sd9 tone...ive got one...
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    It's more than likely the Fulltone Distortion Pro that he currently has on his board.

You can get a similar sound combining a TS9 with an SD9 (sonic distortion)

The distortion pro is a very flexible distortion with a lot of internal tweeks so it can take a while to find the exact sound but it's in there.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Just to clarify, I sorta meant a compressor into a tubescreamer. Hard to tell, Stone changes month-to-month what he uses for stuff. But a comp with a light overdrive would probably get the right sound...

It's definitely not a fuzz, Big Muff, etc.
  • life is full of ultimate questions.
    what is the meaning of life?
    how big is the universe?
    is there life after death?
    how do you achieve the PERFECT guitar tone? i dont think we will ever know the true answer, but the search goes on...
  • Originally posted by a_gherkin
    life is full of ultimate questions.
    what is the meaning of life?
    how big is the universe?
    is there life after death?
    how do you achieve the PERFECT guitar tone? i dont think we will ever know the true answer, but the search goes on...

1. Having sex.
    2. Pretty f***ing big.
    3. No. The whole point of dying is that you aren't living anymore.
    4. Plug a 1957 Gibson Les Paul goldtop into a 1959 Fender Bassman and crank the mofo.
  • Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    1. Having sex.
    2. Pretty f***ing big.
    3. No. The whole point of dying is that you aren't living anymore.
    4. Plug a 1957 Gibson Les Paul goldtop into a 1959 Fender Bassman and crank the mofo.

Wrong man

1. Having lots of sex
    2. okay, yeah, pretty f***ing big
    3. there is life after death, but it will be spent in the jungle room of Grace land with Buddha dressed up as Jimi Hendrix and a transvestite Walt disney eating elvis shaped bologna sandwiches with Linda Lovlace
    4. Plug a Goth Gibson explorer into a a Marshall stack and play it with a violin bow and a crybaby
    Support you local anarchist