Realistic String Gauges for acoustic

a_gherkina_gherkin Posts: 77
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
i'm current using strings on my acoustic that i am finding difficult for lead work because theyare so difficult to bend, so i have decided that a thinner gauge string would help in this department. i thibk the gauges i am using at present are 13-17-26-34-46-56 but im not sure. anyway, i guess the question in all this is, what are the lowest gauge strings i can use on my acoustic without my guitar sounding terrible?

thanks guys

Gherk
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 13's are the norm, if not a little heavy for most people
    12's are considered lights, but that's what most companies spec their guitars for.
    11's can sound pretty good on a lighter guitar, but may not drive a big acoustic.

Look around for sets with heavier bottom strings and lighter top ones. They may suit you for doing some lead work, and still have some bottom end.

First I'd try a set of 12's though. D'addario coated ones are pretty good sounding and comfortable. I bet that size will sound good and be easier to do a little bending.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Even if you eventually want 10's (ungodly light for an acoustic) you don't want to change the neck tension that much in one move. Go to 12's, then if that's not good enough, to 11's. And I like Bob's idea to get medium strings for the E, A, and D and light strings for the G, B, and e. Like 12 - 16 - 24 - 34 - 46 - 56. A lot of music stores will sell you individual strings to choose your own guages.

You will lose a lot of volume, tone, and projection the lighter the strings, so trying to find that balance is pretty tricky.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I've been using Martin SP Custom Lights for a while (11-15-23-32-42-52). They feel/play great, and sound good too. If I was playing some live shows, I might go up to 12's, but for just playing at home, the little loss of sound (if any) is outweighed by the ease of playing.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • I'd suggest the Martin SP Custom Lights as well. I've been using them for a good while and they've always sounded sweet live!

Hey they can even make my 1973 Takeharu (The cheapest and evilist of acoustics) sound amazing! But I guess it depends on what you like and in the words of the amazing sales assistant who sold me my first ever set of strings:
    "You just gotta... experiment... man... to get the.... jazz... ya kno?"
    [Kitchener 05 - London 05 - Hamilton 05 - Toronto 05 - Astoria 06 - Dublin 06 - Leeds 06 - Reading 06 - Wembley 07] -- I think I've had enough ....
  • cheers for the advice guys, will try the martin's, tomorrow! :D