Stones olden day Alive tone

a_gherkina_gherkin Posts: 77
edited June 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
im wondering what amp stone used to play through during the ten era to play alive, live? It s the exact overdriven tone i want. i have a feeling its a twin with some pedal in front of it, maybe a tubescreamer. can anyone help me out?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    Not 100% sure:

Gibson Les Paul -> Ibanez Sonic Distortion -> Marshall JCM 800 or 900
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Marshall JCM 800 or 900 is my next amp. Didnt realise until i got it but... i have the wrong Marshall, lol, the MG50DFX is what i have and i hate it. I havent played my electric for weeks. Lucky i have a nice new Washburn acoustic to keep me occupied.
  • HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
    chris01 wrote:
    Marshall JCM 800 or 900 is my next amp. Didnt realise until i got it but... i have the wrong Marshall, lol, the MG50DFX is what i have and i hate it. I havent played my electric for weeks. Lucky i have a nice new Washburn acoustic to keep me occupied.

eek

i had the MG10 for an amp for about 2 years until last year....god I don't know how I did it
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • chris01 wrote:

Big difference between a JCM 800 and a JCM 900.

I still would rather go the Plexi or JTM 45 way. Or if wattage isn't a problem the 18 watter.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    eek

i had the MG10 for an amp for about 2 years until last year....god I don't know how I did it

Tell me about it, after about 2 or 3 days of tweaking trying to find a tone i liked i gave up, lol.

Ill put it on eBay probably.... brand new amp, hardly been played, reason im selling.... it sucks! That oughta get the bids rolling in! :D
    Big difference between a JCM 800 and a JCM 900.

I still would rather go the Plexi or JTM 45 way. Or if wattage isn't a problem the 18 watter.

What are the differences between these two?

.....and which one is the one Stone actually used/uses?
  • a_gherkina_gherkin Posts: 77
    Not 100% sure:

Gibson Les Paul -> Ibanez Sonic Distortion -> Marshall JCM 800 or 900

hmm i have a jcm900 and it doesnt have anything on stone gorgeous alive tone so it could be the 800
  • LikeLukinLikeLukin Posts: 29
    a_gherkin wrote:
    im wondering what amp stone used to play through during the ten era to play alive, live? It s the exact overdriven tone i want. i have a feeling its a twin with some pedal in front of it, maybe a tubescreamer. can anyone help me out?

Stone used a Marshall JCM 800 2203 amp through 2 Marshall cabs (not sure what models, or what speakers) with an Ibanez TS-9 tubescreamer. I believe PJ have their tubescreamers modified too.
  • chris01 wrote:
    What are the differences between these two?

.....and which one is the one Stone actually used/uses?

Now of course on both there have been veriations, and more than once I've walked by a used store and seen an 800 and went, WTF?

JCM 800 (2203), single channel no reverb. EL34 power tubes.

JCM 900(4100), two channel twin reverb. 5881 power tubes.

According to a article I read a while back with a guy from marshall they will say that the EL34 is the "Marshall" tone. That sort of bugs me because JTM 45's, 1974x's, bluesbreakers all do not have EL34, but to me those are true marshall tones. The reason for them to switch to a EL34 back in the day was because of cost. Those were cheaper than 5881's. Then there was shortage in EL34's so they switched back to 5881's again.

I personally am a JTM 45 and a 1974x fan when it comes to marshalls.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • quapquap Posts: 27
    stone's alive live tone is for sure the jcm800 100watt head it's single channel

for all the cleans he switches to his fender
    quap wrote:

Yup, he and Mike had a pan pedal so they could quickly switch between the Bassman (or twin) and Marshall, or blend the sounds.
  • LikeLukinLikeLukin Posts: 29
    Yup, he and Mike had a pan pedal so they could quickly switch between the Bassman (or twin) and Marshall, or blend the sounds.

Do they still do this? I think they did in 2000, but not sure about the tours since.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Don't they use the Trentino (sp) amps.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V

They started using those during Binaural and Riot Act.
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    quap wrote:

so he used this amp with the tubescreamer pedal?

i have a multi effects pedal at home that can imitate the tubescreamer sound perfectly

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • i know stone used a peavy classic for shows in '92-'93
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • quapquap Posts: 27
    umm i only saw one concert with stone in a peavey head. i normally saw him in 91 concerts in a jcm800 and fender amps. i think stone used the tube screamer cause in the pink pop festival 91 concert you can see the green pedal on his setup. , in a 1993 concert i saw stone not using the jcm800( http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=JCM800 ) but, he used a marshall jtm head like mike mccreaddy i dont know exactly the name of the head but its the same that used a lot of bands like acdc or well look it here http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productId=8
  • ampguyampguy Posts: 7
    live mike uses one with a marshall, and stone uses various - blues devilles, 1974 marshall 18watts, delta blues, etc.
  • ruderude Posts: 14
    I love this place! You guys are amazing.
    As a bon-i-fide tone junkie. This info is pretty cool.