My voice

StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
edited December 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
So as I stated in another thread, me and a friend of mine are planning some open mic gigs, doing a little acoustic duo type thing.

It appears I'll be singing, and I've been recording myself recently through garage band as I play tunes and what not, and I actually surprised myself recently, as I guess I'm decent, however, I'm not all too confident in myself singing in public.

I guess its something we all go through, but I mean I'm no eddie vedder, but I can stay in tune and whatnot, so I guess I'm just looking for some advice or words of encouragement, maybe some exercises.

Thanks
MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I've always drank lots of soda and chain-smoked before playing a gig. I don't think that's what they recommend at the Tabernacle Choir.

Stage fright can be tough. The best thing I can say is, close your eyes and commit. You'll come across much better if you belt out and are a little wobbly, than if you hold back and don't put any heart into it. Just push it, really let it all hang out. It may help to just focus on your buddy if you need a shot of confidence. And don't be afraid to laugh at yourself, let it go afterwards if you have a sour moment. It all just gets better with time.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Stage fright was a HUGE thing for me and still is. I played shows for my friends and got more and more comfortable with my voice, in front of them. It's all about practice and doing it. I play guitar like Mike-in that, I mean I look up and close my eyes. It's how I have to play so I don't look at people. In no way am I saying I'm anywhere as good as him but I take a lot from those I watch.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Be brave !!!!!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    I've been doing it for some time now & I still get butterflies in my stomach right before a show. They tend to go away as soon as I start playing. I would suggest that you open with a song that you're comfortable with & confident with your voice. That's usually what I do, and it seems to work. That just builds you up & you realize that the people that are there are just like you---they're music fans. Then you're off & running. Good Luck!

Also---don't be afraid to screw up. It may happen, and it will happen at some point. There are a couple of songs that I always flub the lyrics on..without fail. If I'm drawing a blank on verse #2, I just sing Verse #1 again. If I play the wrong chord, I draw it out a bit and get back to where I need to be. Chances are that no one will know that you screwed up except you.

The most important thing is..Have FUN!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mfc2006 wrote:
    I've been doing it for some time now & I still get butterflies in my stomach right before a show. They tend to go away as soon as I start playing. I would suggest that you open with a song that you're comfortable with & confident with your voice. That's usually what I do, and it seems to work. That just builds you up & you realize that the people that are there are just like you---they're music fans. Then you're off & running. Good Luck!

Also---don't be afraid to screw up. It may happen, and it will happen at some point. There are a couple of songs that I always flub the lyrics on..without fail. If I'm drawing a blank on verse #2, I just sing Verse #1 again. If I play the wrong chord, I draw it out a bit and get back to where I need to be. Chances are that no one will know that you screwed up except you.

The most important thing is..Have FUN!

thanks for the kind words. that goes for everyone, thank you.

It seems everyday I feel I get better at singing because I'm practicing like hell.
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • One thing worth mentioning: If you have a song or two that really strains your vocals or stretches the range of your voice, save them for the end of the set. Nothing sucks more than straining your voice on one song early on, and not being able to sing well for the rest of the set. Anything that makes your vocal cords, mouth, or throat hurt should be saved for the end. Warming up before going on can help some of this, but there are a lot of singers who push it nonetheless.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    http://a2zvocalhealth.com/
    try something like this http://www.vocal-eze.com
    or similar products in the middle of the other page.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • don t eat the mic
    sleep well before or try
    don t eat much fat food thoose days
    look amazing -yeap yeap this counts this days too
    play with the croud (flirting,talking etc..)
    do a great job
    don t scream before ...
    and if there is a song maybe can kill your voice put it at the end of the set
    or as a surprise;)