Chatted w/Davy Knowles from BDS last night!

StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
edited November 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
SO my buddy scored free, front row, dead center tickets to the Govt Mule/Back Door Slam off WPLR for the show in Wallingford, Ct last night, and since I got him into Back Door Slam about a year ago, he invited me to go with him.

I was ecstatic because I've never got to see Back Door Slam yet, nor Govt Mule, so I was beyond excited. After BDS played, and kicked ass I might add, I met them out near the merch booth where they signed me CD and ticket stub. Awesome, humble guys.

Once everyone who was in like to meet them (which was A LOT), I walked back over to Davy to chat a bit about guitar. I told him I'm also a strat player, to which he responded, "I just couldn't see myself getting on with anything else really."

Then I asked him for just some words of advice on the guitar, and he said, "Just jam along to your favorite records, that's really the best thing." He then told me how he can't even read music and isn't a big theory guy, to which I was surprised.

Anyway, enough of my ramble, I know there's some BDS fans on here, just wanted to share my experience. Oh..and I also caught Warren Haynes' guitar pic at the end of the night. Capped off and incredible evening.
MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SO my buddy scored free, front row, dead center tickets to the Govt Mule/Back Door Slam off WPLR for the show in Wallingford, Ct last night, and since I got him into Back Door Slam about a year ago, he invited me to go with him.

I was ecstatic because I've never got to see Back Door Slam yet, nor Govt Mule, so I was beyond excited. After BDS played, and kicked ass I might add, I met them out near the merch booth where they signed me CD and ticket stub. Awesome, humble guys.

Once everyone who was in like to meet them (which was A LOT), I walked back over to Davy to chat a bit about guitar. I told him I'm also a strat player, to which he responded, "I just couldn't see myself getting on with anything else really."

Then I asked him for just some words of advice on the guitar, and he said, "Just jam along to your favorite records, that's really the best thing." He then told me how he can't even read music and isn't a big theory guy, to which I was surprised.

Anyway, enough of my ramble, I know there's some BDS fans on here, just wanted to share my experience. Oh..and I also caught Warren Haynes' guitar pic at the end of the night. Capped off and incredible evening.
    He is just the chillest guy isn't he? Whenever I talk to him, at first I'm nervous because he IS one of my heroes, but at this point, he's just a normal guy, he puts you at ease!

I'm glad you got to meet him! Mule was great when I saw them as well.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • He is just the chillest guy isn't he? Whenever I talk to him, at first I'm nervous because he IS one of my heroes, but at this point, he's just a normal guy, he puts you at ease!

I'm glad you got to meet him! Mule was great when I saw them as well.

He really is. The first thing I said to him was, "I think your an unbelievable guitar player." He just shook my hand and bowed his head to me, and just said thank you, thank you.

And the Mule kicked so much ass, I wasn't too much into them or knew much about them really, but after last night I will definitely be buying some records. What a great, blues-based rock band. They covered All Along the Watchtower, Stay With Me by the Faces, How Many More Times by Zeppelin, and Rockin' In The Free World featuring Davy Knowles.

Awesome show.
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10