Blues Driver Vs. Tubescreamer

StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
edited April 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
If you were to own both of these, does one do something better that the other couldn't?

I already have a blues driver, but was thinking of getting a tubescreamer also. Is this pointless?

It seems they have slightly different sounds
MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    They do have different sounds. I wouldn't hesitate to own both (I have a tubescreamer and would definitely pick up a BD-2 if I had an extra 70 bucks lying around).

It all depends on what you're looking for. I would say you can get more of a cleaner, crisper sound overall out of the blues driver and a chunkier, grittier sound out of the TS9.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I own both for a good reason (their different).
    Even Mike McCaready has both on his board.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I like the blues driver more...more versatility.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    I own both as well. They are both great pedals. I find the TS 9 to be a little cleaner and also great for leads. The BD 2 is great for gritty, chunky sounds. Both are very versatile pedals.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Jam10 wrote:
    I own both as well. They are both great pedals. I find the TS 9 to be a little cleaner and also great for leads. The BD 2 is great for gritty, chunky sounds. Both are very versatile pedals.
    I gotta agree with Jam10 on this one
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    Agree with whats already said. You can also try them in series to open up some more sounds. Both are solid pedals, with the TS being one of the all time reference pedals.
  • StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
    cool, thanks guys. And next question, would it matter which pedal came first in the effects chain? I only own two other pedals (the blues driver and the TR-2), I know the tremolo goes last, but which pedal would you all recommend I put first after my guitar, the BD-2 or the TS9? Thanks
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    cool, thanks guys. And next question, would it matter which pedal came first in the effects chain? I only own two other pedals (the blues driver and the TR-2), I know the tremolo goes last, but which pedal would you all recommend I put first after my guitar, the BD-2 or the TS9? Thanks

It depends.

Generally the lower gain ones I run first with the higher gain one second and so forth but there is no rule right or wrong just different sounds. I prefer TS to BD2 myself but depending on your settings and rig you just need to audition them.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    It depends.

Generally the lower gain ones I run first with the higher gain one second and so forth but there is no rule right or wrong just different sounds. I prefer TS to BD2 myself but depending on your settings and rig you just need to audition them.

Is the BD-2 a higher gain pedal?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Is the BD-2 a higher gain pedal?

yes, it's fair to say that the BD2 is higher gain almost fuzzy at the top of the gain range.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.