re-set up for .10 gauge strings?

StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
edited May 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I want to switch my string gauge on my strat from 9's to 10's, does this require a new setup for my guitar?

And, is it a big adjustment from 9's to 10's as far as finger strength? will bends be much harder? Thanks
MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Definately should set it up for .10's. The intonation will probably be off a touch. As for getting used to, I can't tell you, I'm not really a strat guy, and I don't think I've ever played .09s before.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    You'll probably have to tweak it a bit. I would just put'm on and see! :)

The tremolo block will pull forward a bit, so you tighten the screws that hold the spring claw in the back of the guitar. This WILL happen, and it's easy to adjust with a phillips screwdriver. Look at where the tremolo block sits on the top of the guitar now, then just adjust it back after the new strings are on. (From the back of the guitar) Tightening the screws will pull the tremolo and bridge back.

The 10's will put a little more pull on the neck so you may have to tighten the truss rod a bit to straighten the neck. This may or may not happen but if it does, you tighten the truss rod nut a tiny bit (1/8th) turn at a time.
    When I tweak a Strat, I put a capo on the first fret and. in playing position, finger the 17th fret and a business card should just barely slide between the string and the 12th fret. That's called "relief" and helps against buzzing frets.

The thicker strings also may hang up in the nut slot and you file the slots just a bit wider. This probably won't happen going from 9's to 10's but it might.

Then you may need to intonate it, like All those Yesterdays said.

It'll be a little harder to bend the strings, but your fingers will strengthen pretty quickly and I like 10's the best now. I was using 11's for a long time, but I like the chime of DR 10's on a Strat now.

All those adjustments are something a Strat owner should learn! It's not that hard! Maybe the nut slot is tricky. If you have to widen it, don't go deeper,,,, just a teeny bit wider.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

The tremolo block will pull forward a bit, so you tighten the screws that hold the spring claw in the back of the guitar. This WILL happen, and it's easy to adjust with a phillips screwdriver. Look at where the tremolo block sits on the top of the guitar now, then just adjust it back after the new strings are on. (From the back of the guitar) Tightening the screws will pull the tremolo and bridge back.

The 10's will put a little more pull on the neck so you may have to tighten the truss rod a bit to straighten the neck. This may or may not happen but if it does, you tighten the truss rod nut a tiny bit (1/8th) turn at a time.
    When I tweak a Strat, I put a capo on the first fret and. in playing position, finger the 17th fret and a business card should just barely slide between the string and the 12th fret. That's called "relief" and helps against buzzing frets.

The thicker strings also may hang up in the nut slot and you file the slots just a bit wider. This probably won't happen going from 9's to 10's but it might.

Then you may need to intonate it, like All those Yesterdays said.

It'll be a little harder to bend the strings, but your fingers will strengthen pretty quickly and I like 10's the best now. I was using 11's for a long time, but I like the chime of DR 10's on a Strat now.

All those adjustments are something a Strat owner should learn! It's not that hard! Maybe the nut slot is tricky. If you have to widen it, don't go deeper,,,, just a teeny bit wider.
    Yup +1 on the setup and intonation idea.
    And again +1 on the DR 10's (Pure Blues).
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • i am a targeti am a target Posts: 808
    i use .11 and .12s. .10s and .09s feel like wet noodles to my fingers.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    hobbes wrote:
    i use .11 and .12s. .10s and .09s feel like wet noodles to my fingers.
    12's . . . well maybe if you downtune a lot, however most Fender Strat necks don't take well to heavier gauge strings.
    SRV may have used heavy strings, but he also had his truss rod modified, used bass frets, & still downtuned a ½ step.
  • i am a targeti am a target Posts: 808
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    12's . . . well maybe if you downtune a lot, however most Fender Strat necks don't take well to heavier gauge strings.
    SRV may have used heavy strings, but he also had his truss rod modified, used bass frets, & still downtuned a ½ step.

i've never had problems with my guitars staying in tune with the heavier strings. they actually stayed in tune better. granted i will on rare occasion put .12s on (my strat has a set bridge) but .11s are amazing to me. i hate slinky strings.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Check this book out, it has step-by-step instructions on setting up a Strat, and tons of other guitars. I have to thank who's_pearljam? for suggesting this book a few years back.

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Player-Repair-Guide-Erlewine/dp/0879302917/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210333934&sr=8-4
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    moster78 wrote:
    Check this book out, it has step-by-step instructions on setting up a Strat, and tons of other guitars. I have to thank who's_pearljam? for suggesting this book a few years back.

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Player-Repair-Guide-Erlewine/dp/0879302917/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210333934&sr=8-4
    I own it and three others like it :)
  • StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
    had it re-set up today and bumped it up to 10's, and I love it. Definitely beefier, which I like, and the strings are more controllable, not just flying all over the place.
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10