Hot Rod Deluxe to Loud for indoors?

StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
edited September 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey all, I'm going to be in the market for a new amp soon (bought an American strat, 3 tone sunburst over the summer, and need a worthy amp)

I've really been intrigued form what I've heard and read of the Fender Blues Jr., and I may go that route, but just recently I put some thought into the hot rod deluxe. For now, I play indoors at my home, with an occasional jam session with my buddy. Question is, would this amp be too loud for indoors considering family and whatnot?

I really am leaning toward the Blues Jr., just wanted to hear some of your thoughts on this. thanks.
MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hey all, I'm going to be in the market for a new amp soon (bought an American strat, 3 tone sunburst over the summer, and need a worthy amp)

I've really been intrigued form what I've heard and read of the Fender Blues Jr., and I may go that route, but just recently I put some thought into the hot rod deluxe. For now, I play indoors at my home, with an occasional jam session with my buddy. Question is, would this amp be too loud for indoors considering family and whatnot?

I really am leaning toward the Blues Jr., just wanted to hear some of your thoughts on this. thanks.

I have both of these amps, and both of them can be very loud. Loud enough to get my wife to come down from the third floor to tell me she can't hear her music. With that said, they also have master volume controls. You can get good preamp distortion by turning up the gain, and keeping the master volume low. You won't get power tube distortion this way, but preamp distortion sounds good at low volume. On the clean channel, you do not have the master volume, but I can get nice tones with the gain set around 2. I have active pickups on my guitar, so 2 still sounds pretty loud. I use the Hot Rod as my main practice amp.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • Just use the master volume.
    I think they sound good at bedroom levels, and my definition of bedroom level is substantially lower than most peoples.
  • The whole point about sound amps and volume is that it is a logarhythmic relationship. 0.5 watts is lod singing, 5 watts is party loud, everything above that is headroom.

So, you need a master volume for civilised volumes, and pre-amp or OD channels let you have some OD a a level which does not involve mandatory blue light action.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    I hooked up a Weber Mass to my Hot Rod to tone it down a bit.
  • Check out the Traynor YCV-40 or YCV50 as well. IMO they have better distortion channels, but the Fender has a better clean.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Check out the Traynor YCV-40 or YCV50 as well. IMO they have better distortion channels, but the Fender has a better clean.

That is why I bought the Fender, for the clean channel. For distortion, I use my Mesa amps.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • hot rod deluxe is LOUD. that is my amp, and when i jam with a friend who drums, i keep the volume on the clean channel on 2 1/2 WITH my pedal rig, which in a very basic set-up would concist of a tube screamer + ds-1 mix, and it is LOOOOOOOOUD. When i blend other effects in my set-up, it really doesn't change the volume, so that's why i just mentioned the tube screamer and ds-1, because they are boosts. but if you play those together, or any other kind of boost (and i suggest you get one, or the ts9, ds1 mix, because drive on this amp isn't great) it is extremely loud extremely fast. however, if you put the volume all the way down, with those pedals on, you will get a small room sound. i personally love this amp. trust me it's workable in a small room situation. another trick with this amp, is the way the volume is set up. fender did it to trick people into thinking this is one of the loudest amps ever. when you reach about 3 (out of 12) on the voume, you will realize it is extremely loud. most would think, holy shit if i turn this up much more, let alone all the way, the house will shake. well, they fooled yah. put the volume on like 3 or 6 and it's the same, it very sllowly and gradually gets louder. the volume nob on 3 or 12 isn't a HUUGE difference.

i hope i didn't confuse you. either way, whatever your rig consists of, the volume is workable..and it is just a greaaat amp. i love it. the only thing i really suggest is that you get some different overdrive/distortion pedals rather than play the amp's drive. prefferably, the tube screamer turbo and the boss ds-1.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I have a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue which I believe is about the same thing as a Hot Rod and I had the same concern when I got it. I bought one of those $20 volume box things off ebay and it works perfectly. it allows you to crank the amp's volume and drive all the way up if you want and you then control the amount of volume actually coming out of the amp with the little box. it works perfectly.

I have heard some speculate that the box will drown out some of the tone, which I think is a load of shit. maybe on a stage, but in the house, it works perfectly. it's made by Omnisonic.
  • thanks for all who replied, I'm really looking for a bluesy type amp that I can also use for some classic and modern rock. I already own a Boss BD-2, so I figured I'd be pretty good set up on either amp.

What does everyone think of the Blues Jr.? I've had my eye on it for a while
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861

personally, I think it is too expensive for an amp with only 1 channel. a good drive pedal is nice, but there is something about a built in drive channel that a pedal won't do. when I use any of my distortion/drive pedals (moreso with the Tubescreamer than the more 'metal' pedals), they always sound better with a little of the amp's own drive mixed in. for $100 more, you could get an amp with 2 channels instead of one, though I'm not sure if they use the same tubes or not.
  • scot88scot88 Posts: 217
    thanks for all who replied, I'm really looking for a bluesy type amp that I can also use for some classic and modern rock. I already own a Boss BD-2, so I figured I'd be pretty good set up on either amp.

i have the same exact setup (american strat, blues jr, and bd-2.) the bluesy tone when the amp is clean is amazing considering the price of the amp. add the bd-2 to the equasion, and you have an amazing classic rock, overdriven blues sound. the only change i'm thinking of making is trading the bd-2 for a ts808.
  • scot88 wrote:
    i have the same exact setup (american strat, blues jr, and bd-2.) the bluesy tone when the amp is clean is amazing considering the price of the amp. add the bd-2 to the equasion, and you have an amazing classic rock, overdriven blues sound. the only change i'm thinking of making is trading the bd-2 for a ts808.

awesome. I haven't actually tried the blues jr. yet, so I'm curious to know how good of a classic rock sound it has considering the lack of a drive channel. Can you get a good PJ, Who-ish, Zeppelin type sounds from it. (with the BD-2 of course)

Also, can this baby get loud enough?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    how loud do you need it? over a drummer? with another guitarist?

blues jr's are pretty loud. don't let the lack of a drive channel concern you. just turn it up.
  • exhausted wrote:
    how loud do you need it? over a drummer? with another guitarist?

blues jr's are pretty loud. don't let the lack of a drive channel concern you. just turn it up.

no drummer. for now, its just me playing, and occasionally with my buddy who also plays guitar. But this would mainly be for in-home use for now.
  • Hot Rods are amazing
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    no drummer. for now, its just me playing, and occasionally with my buddy who also plays guitar. But this would mainly be for in-home use for now.

blues jr. would be fine. bare in mind a couple things.

the 6L6s in the deluxe have a totally different character than the EL84s in the blues jr. the EL84s are more british flavoured. good for the "who" type tone when turned up in my opinion.

the deluxe will have tons more clean volume. you'd have to really crank the clean channel to overdrive it.

the drive channel on the deluxe sounds terrible. better off sticking to the clean channel and pedals with that one.

the blues jr, with it's master volume, at least lets you get some amp drive that sounds good before your ears start to bleed.

the deluxe is going to sound richer. bigger cabinet and all that.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Personally, I feel the Hot Rod's are better than the JR's (one of my main amps is the HR 4x10 DeVille - OMEGA MOD - I've
    recorded with loads of big names using just that amp). With either one I'd suggest getting an extension cab (no matter what
    volume you're playing at a single 10" or 12" speaker tends to sound a bit small and one-dimensional). Yes they are both fairly
    loud amps, I generally have to run mine on 2 with a full band (but you can use an attenuator which will allow you to crank it
    and have bedroom volumes - just remember that using an attenuator shortens the life of your tubes). I've actually gone and
    taped the volume on mine down so it can't move. Ultimately you can pull the chassis and make the amp into a head, then you
    can run a better cab with a couple/few/four speakers (there are much better speakers on the market than what come stock in
    either of these amps, which in-turn makes a fairly good sounding amp a really great sounding amp).

To me the HR's OD is basically unuseable (which is why I went with the OMEGA MOD), but if you were thinking about getting
    a JR, then you'd be getting a clean amp anyway, and you'd be running pedals for OD tones, so that's no biggie with either amp.
    Regardless, the Hot Rod seems to be a fuller sounding amp - running a clean channel on an amp with 6L6's seems to have a
    rounder fuller bodied tone, more-so than running a clean amp with EL84's - it's basically just the overall tube characteristics).
    Anyhow, that's my 2-cents.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫