how to restring with different tuning pegs?

StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
on my acoustic I've only had for a short while, when restringing, the hole on each tuning peg to string the new string through is on top of the peg, rather than on the side of it. So it looks as though I have to thread the string down into the peg then wind it.

I've never done this before, can anyone please explain how this is done. Thanks a lot
MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Sounds like a vintage-style Fender tuner. Also, most bass guitars use this type of machine head.

So, you pull the string a few inches past the machine head, and then cut the string to leave some slack for a good wind. On the higher strings, this is about 5 inches, down to about 2-3 inches for the low-E. Make sure the wound strings, especially the low-E, are nice and neat at the end, so they'll fit in the hole (no burrs or anything).

Next, you put the end of the string into the hole inside the tuner's spindle, until it grounds out. Then bend the string down until it sticks out the side of the spindle. Wind away, guiding the slack of the string so that it winds below itself.

Make sure you start winding the right way, you don't want to be reverse-tuning your guitar until your next string change!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.