Yellow Ledbetter sound?

StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
edited February 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
how do you get that tone on guitar? what effect? or is their a pedal I can buy? I love that Ledbetter tone, Hendrix used it quite a bit too on tunes like Little Wing. Any help would be appreciated, go easy on the beginner.

btw, just to inform everyone, I just started taking lessons three weeks ago and I'm loving it. Going through broken chord progressions right now, working through different variations of the different notes that make up the chords. anyways, enough rambling
MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Honestly, there isn't much to it more than a clean channel on the amp and a strat.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I believe it's the very much loved position 4 on pickup selector on the strat.

I always play it on the neck pup and switch to the bridge for the lead.

There is probably a little reverb and the amps got a decent amount of headroom.

It is likely a Marshall JCM 8 or 900 on the clean channel given the time period.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • It's position 4 on a strat. I use a Fender roc-pro 700 and get the EXACT same tone. In Little Wing, a univibe or some type of rotating speaker is used (I use a univibe). Mike uses it a lot during live shows. Def. use the reverb. Use a tube screamer to get the overdrive sound during the chorus and solo.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • It's position 4 on a strat. I use a Fender roc-pro 700 and get the EXACT same tone. In Little Wing, a univibe or some type of rotating speaker is used (I use a univibe). Mike uses it a lot during live shows. Def. use the reverb. Use a tube screamer to get the overdrive sound during the chorus and solo.
    It's called a Leslie speaker. Rotating (of course), made for organs - classicly the hammond b3 :cool:
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Yeah, I know.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    amp settings for YLB:
    gain 1: 2
    Gain 2: 2
    treble: 5
    bass: 6
    middle: 6
    reverb: 3.5
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • seanw1010 wrote:
    amp settings for YLB:
    gain 1: 2
    Gain 2: 2
    treble: 5
    bass: 6
    middle: 6
    reverb: 3.5
    that's going to depend on the amp
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Very true, for mine, I have the treble and mimd cranked to ten bass at 6 and reverb at ten and it sounds perfect so every amp is different
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    that's going to depend on the amp
    duh, but that is what mike uses on YLB, so thats what i use for YLB, and it sounds fine
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go