EQ Pedals?

StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
edited April 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've only been taking lessons for 4 months, so I'm relatively new to discovering new ways to improve my sound. I playu through a Vox Valvetronix AD30, and I love it, but I've heard a lot about how EQ pedals can improve your sound.

Anyone care to explain how they work and if they do indeed improve your tone and give you more tonal possibilites?

thanks
MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Different EQ's change the shape, color and volumes of the sounds you are producing. It's one of the signature things that makes an amp sound like it does. Say you add a little mid... tone gets more nasally or you take off a little high end to soften an ice pick single coil, or you scoop out the mids all toegther to make the bass and treble really chunky with lots of definition.

There are also different types of eq's Parametric (shape) Graphic etc.

One thing a good EQ can do is help you dial in an amp or guitar for the sound you are looking for. It's not brain science but there is a reasonable learning curve to each type finding out how it can work best for you.

The Tone Stack is definately a huge part of the overall tone of any amplifier that has one.

Most EQ's allow you to cut or boost certain frequencies to provide a desired sound.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.