Vox Valve. AD30 good buy?

StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
edited February 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm a beginner, and today at Sam Ash I the manager and I were talking about potential amps, and he said the best bang for the buck was this particular amp, better than the Fender Frontman 25 I had been looking at.

Anyone have this amp have any thoughts. You've all been extremely helpful in my early stages of entering the guitar world. I love it.
MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• My friend has it, and I love it. It's portable yet punchy and REALLY loud. I think it's a great beginner's amp, because you can explore different amps and effects. Get it. I wish I had it instead of my 2x12 all tube combo. No kidding.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • My friend has it, and I love it. It's portable yet punchy and REALLY loud. I think it's a great beginner's amp, because you can explore different amps and effects. Get it. I wish I had it instead of my 2x12 all tube combo. No kidding.

What kind of tube combo is it? Just curious.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V

Can you get a wide variety of distortion on there? Or just sounds in general

btw, hows the UK sounding amps on there? Anything Who-ish? I love the Who's sound.
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • What kind of tube combo is it? Just curious.

Ampeg Reverberocket. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but I can't take it anywhere because it's so huge and heavy, and it doesn't have any tone's I can't get out of a decent pedal, unless of course I drive the power tubes, but that's loud.. :-P

It's very versatile. The clean sound is amazingly deep yet clear, change channels, turn the gain up to about 5 and you're in hard rock heaven. turn up the gain a bit more, scoop the mids and its even good for metal.

I'm holding onto it because I know I'll eventually need it for gigs.
    Can you get a wide variety of distortion on there? Or just sounds in general

btw, hows the UK sounding amps on there? Anything Who-ish? I love the Who's sound.

I haven't had a chance to mess around with it much, I just heard my friend playing through it and I was really impressed.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • MishralMishral Posts: 211
    I don´t have one, but I ususally try to stop by a music store every week just to play one. :)
    It´s a really great amp!
    "The things you own will end up owning you"
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    it's easily the best bang for the buck in that price range.

I believe the AD30's get the volume reduction knob and everything too.

For the money you get a very nice sounding modelling practice amp with head phone outs and power reduction for late nights, plenty of effects, light weight to carry around, and a closed back to focus the sound foward.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I have the AD30VT... since it's a modelling amp it can range from absolute crap to surprisingly fresh and awesome. I'd say get it, because it's a great amp for novices such as myself and it will also help you find what type of sound you like the most for future amp purchases. It also has the power reduction knob which is a life-saver for me.

So yeah, either the AD15 or 30 is a great choice. The only thing is it's tough to really get any famous tones out of it... it's best for just playing around with the controls and finding what you like the most as opposed to trying to replicate your favorite guitar hero's tone.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • i own the VoxAD15. (and the Vox AC15)

IMO, don't buy it

i thought the AD30 sounded alot bigger, if that helps. Better speaker.

i don't really have better suggestions in that price range. Spend four hours at a Guitar center, try Line 6, Fender GDec, Vox, Beringer. See which catches your ear. consider ahead of time, are you going for a good tone base that you can compliment with effects later, or are you going for a everything in one package kind of box.

i've become extremely picky about these products, but am still considering buying a Pod. A buddy tonite told me he bought one at GC for 75 bucks. For that amount, i'll pick one up.

g'luck