Question about the VOX AD30

StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
edited March 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
just got this amp today, and am loving it, just a quick question for those who are experienced with this amp.

When I'm on channel 2 and choose UK 70's, it gives me that nice, dirty crunch that I love, however, when I switch to another model, and then come back to the UK 70's a little while later, although I'm still on Channel 2, I'm getting a more clean sound, and in order for me to get that crunch back, I have ti hit the channel select button back to CH1, than back to CH2 again, is this normal?

By the way, this is all in channel select mode. As I find it hard to get a dirty crunchy sound out of the UK 70's model in manual mode.

thanks in advance
MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Well, it's kind of hard to explain, but I'll try as best I can. First of all, you may or may not know that the CH1 and CH2 buttons aren't really any kind of overdrive channels at all- they're simply two separate presets of settings that you set manually, either from Manual mode or from Preset mode (which contains the factory presets).

When you press the Channel 2 button, the amp's settings automatically revert to whatever the settings were when you first "wrote in" Channel 2. This may or may not have been the UK 70's model that you like so much. So even though the amp dial may be physically set to the UK 70's model, when you press Channel 2 it will digitally revert back to whatever settings you put in for Channel 2 back when you first programmed it in. You can still tweak settings to your taste when in these two channels, but if you ever go to a separate channel and go back to Channel 2, the tweaked settings will be lost and you'll be back to your original Channel 2 preset.

Since you can't seem to get that crunch you love in manual mode under the UK 70's setting, you probably set Channel 2 to a different amp model without realizing it. So it's probably actually a different amp model that you love, and not the UK 70's model.

This is really hard to explain without showing it to you in person, so hopefully I didn't confuse you too much.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
    DOSW wrote:
    Well, it's kind of hard to explain, but I'll try as best I can. First of all, you may or may not know that the CH1 and CH2 buttons aren't really any kind of overdrive channels at all- they're simply two separate presets of settings that you set manually, either from Manual mode or from Preset mode (which contains the factory presets).

When you press the Channel 2 button, the amp's settings automatically revert to whatever the settings were when you first "wrote in" Channel 2. This may or may not have been the UK 70's model that you like so much. So even though the amp dial may be physically set to the UK 70's model, when you press Channel 2 it will digitally revert back to whatever settings you put in for Channel 2 back when you first programmed it in. You can still tweak settings to your taste when in these two channels, but if you ever go to a separate channel and go back to Channel 2, the tweaked settings will be lost and you'll be back to your original Channel 2 preset.

Since you can't seem to get that crunch you love in manual mode under the UK 70's setting, you probably set Channel 2 to a different amp model without realizing it. So it's probably actually a different amp model that you love, and not the UK 70's model.

This is really hard to explain without showing it to you in person, so hopefully I didn't confuse you too much.

Yea, I kind of get what you're saying, but I just got the amp today, and did write in or set anything up yet, so I'm not sure how that could happen. I just find it strange, that one second its a good crunch, I go to US High Gain for a few minutes, come back, and now its clean, and I didn't even hit the channel select button. Weird.

I'm sure there's something I don't understand yet that explains this. Thanks though a lot, you
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Yea, I kind of get what you're saying, but I just got the amp today, and did write in or set anything up yet, so I'm not sure how that could happen. I just find it strange, that one second its a good crunch, I go to US High Gain for a few minutes, come back, and now its clean, and I didn't even hit the channel select button. Weird.

I'm sure there's something I don't understand yet that explains this. Thanks though a lot, you

Channel 2 is probably just set at whatever settings the factory put into that channel then.

When you have that "good crunch" that you love, it's on the default Channel 2 preset (normally set by the user, but since you didn't set it yet, it's just on a factory preset). What I mean is that when you first push the Channel 2 button, the physical positions of the knobs on the amp don't mean anything, because everything is digitally set to a preset. So even though the knob is turned to the UK 70's model, you're actually probably on another amp model altogether (with higher gain capabilities). But like I said, you can still tweak settings... so when you turn the knob to the US High Gain model, the amp obeys and switches to that model. So even though the Channel 2 LED is still lit up, you're not actually on the Channel 2 preset anymore (the reason the CH2 LED is still lit up is because it makes it easier to tweak settings like GAIN and your EQ's that way). Likewise, when you flip the knob back to the UK 70's model, the amp will switch to the UK 70's model- remember, the UK 70's model isn't the one that was on when you first pressed the CH2 button. NOW you're actually on the UK 70's model. Since the UK70's model doesn't have a whole lot of gain to it, it probably has less overdrive than the original Channel 2 preset and that's why it's the cleaner sound.

Wow, I kind of went overboard there. :D I hope it helps. The key thing to remember is that when you first switch to Channel 2, the sound doesn't reflect at all what the knobs are physically turned to.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
    DOSW wrote:
    Channel 2 is probably just set at whatever settings the factory put into that channel then.

When you have that "good crunch" that you love, it's on the default Channel 2 preset (normally set by the user, but since you didn't set it yet, it's just on a factory preset). What I mean is that when you first push the Channel 2 button, the physical positions of the knobs on the amp don't mean anything, because everything is digitally set to a preset. So even though the knob is turned to the UK 70's model, you're actually probably on another amp model altogether (with higher gain capabilities). But like I said, you can still tweak settings... so when you turn the knob to the US High Gain model, the amp obeys and switches to that model. So even though the Channel 2 LED is still lit up, you're not actually on the Channel 2 preset anymore (the reason the CH2 LED is still lit up is because it makes it easier to tweak settings like GAIN and your EQ's that way). Likewise, when you flip the knob back to the UK 70's model, the amp will switch to the UK 70's model- remember, the UK 70's model isn't the one that was on when you first pressed the CH2 button. NOW you're actually on the UK 70's model. Since the UK70's model doesn't have a whole lot of gain to it, it probably has less overdrive than the original Channel 2 preset and that's why it's the cleaner sound.

Wow, I kind of went overboard there. :D I hope it helps. The key thing to remember is that when you first switch to Channel 2, the sound doesn't reflect at all what the knobs are physically turned to.

Wow, I get it now, That all makes sense, that the knobs do not correlate to what is playing at first. Ok, so now I have to find out what the default setting is that I like so much.

Thanks so much for the help, it totally makes sense now. But the UK 70's model still is kick ass.

thanks for taking all that time, it really helped