How are Epiphones?

StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
edited March 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've been playing for a few months now with weekly lessons, and want to update my guitar soon. I'm probably getting a Fender Mexi-Standard Strat, but after that, was looking to get something else a little different.

I absolutely love the Les Paul's and SG's, but right now, cannot afford to shell out $1,200 (I'm in college). And I saw Epiphone sells the SG (which would be my first choice) for like $399, and same with the Les Paul. Anyone ever play these, would it be a mistake getting one?

Thanks all
MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    I've got an Epi SG and i love it... its cherry red, plays beautifuly... really smooth... i've got the same decal as Ed has on his SG's :cool: in fact i think i gave 3 board members on here decals and i never saw what they did with them!! :)

but anyway... yes Epi's are usually pretty sturdy, decent entry level guitars and i think the Epi SG's are brilliant... one day i'll own the Gibson SG
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • try before you buy. I've played some epis that are great, and others that are horrible. I have an epi les paul custom and i really dig it...it plays great and doesn't sound too bad either. don't get me wrong, i'd take my gibson over it any day, but for the price my epi LP is superb!
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    I've been playing for a few months now with weekly lessons, and want to update my guitar soon. I'm probably getting a Fender Mexi-Standard Strat, but after that, was looking to get something else a little different.

I absolutely love the Les Paul's and SG's, but right now, cannot afford to shell out $1,200 (I'm in college). And I saw Epiphone sells the SG (which would be my first choice) for like $399, and same with the Les Paul. Anyone ever play these, would it be a mistake getting one?

Thanks all

I've got an Epi Les Paul and I love it. I will upgrade to a Gibson Gold Top though (Epi is heritage cherry sunburst). But I will always keep my epi.
  • StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
    dunkman wrote:
    I've got an Epi SG and i love it... its cherry red, plays beautifuly... really smooth... i've got the same decal as Ed has on his SG's :cool: in fact i think i gave 3 board members on here decals and i never saw what they did with them!! :)

but anyway... yes Epi's are usually pretty sturdy, decent entry level guitars and i think the Epi SG's are brilliant... one day i'll own the Gibson SG

You have the Who bullseye decal?

I've been looking all over for those, you have any more?
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I have the Epi SG Special and it never fails to go out of tune. I love the sound but it really sucks at tunning. My friend had the Black Beauty and it was one of my favorite guitars. It really depends how much you're willing to spend. Epi makes some good guitars but they also make some shit ones too.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    You have the Who bullseye decal?

I've been looking all over for those, you have any more?

I could get you some dude!!

i think they come in packs of 4 or so!!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/dunkman1974/target_sticker.jpg heres my guitar with it on it!!!!

:cool:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    dunkman wrote:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/dunkman1974/target_sticker.jpg heres my guitar with it on it!!!!

Hey that's pretty cool! How do you like your Orange? Could ya give me some specs on it?
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Try to remember - unless you get a really low end Gibson, Epiphone is not the same animal.
    I read a review a few months back on all the Epi SG's compared to the real deal, and none
    of them seemed to cut it tone wise, feel wise, playability, or sustain.
    Really make sure you play the guitar you’re looking at, then play the real thing and see if you can tell the difference.
    A long time ago I had an Epi LP Custom, and I though it was great (really did).
    Then I played the real thing and it didn't even compare (except for the weight - such a bummer).
    Same with the Epi LP Special I once had (I now have an old Gibson LP Special, and believe me it's NOT the same beast).

Bottom line - do your research, and then play the guitar you're looking to buy (a lot).
    You really don't need our opinions, you'll be able to tell if the guitar's right for you.

Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
    dunkman wrote:

yea dude, definitely. Let me know through PM how we can get this done.

thanks
  • Epiphones are Great !
    I own a AJ18S Since 2003.Love acoustic guitars.I play "Small town "everyday on It!!!
    "Actually we could do a commercial for Dodge, Can't Find A Better Van"
    E.V