Changing strings

StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I'm fairly new at the guitar (have had formal lessons since january), but I changed my first string today myself after finally learning how.

My D string broke, so i replaced it with a Dean Markeley, tuned it up, only thing is, the string sounds so twangy compared to the E and A strings. Is this due to the nickel steel Dean markeleys (the rest of my axe has D'addarios.

Just afraid i did it wrong, but everything sounds fine, just the one string i replaced sounds twangy. (i should note i havent plugged in yet, so I was just messing around with my strat dry)

thanks
MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I would say primarily that's due to it not being part of a full set of strings. Whenever I break a string, I just replace all of them at the same time (usually its like a couple months in between, so it's about time to change them anyway).
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    u gotta replace the other strings....
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Probably a differnet gauge. AS the guys said, better to put all new ones on.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    New strings usually make that sound for a while too. you probably did it right but again, I agree with everyone else, you should change all the strings.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    Novawind wrote:
    I would say primarily that's due to it not being part of a full set of strings. Whenever I break a string, I just replace all of them at the same time (usually its like a couple months in between, so it's about time to change them anyway).

I'd suggest changing your strings every 1-3 months (at least twice a year minimum) depending on how 'heavy' of a player you are. Regardless if any of them are broken or not. As strings get played/older they get 'loose', not to mention dirty, bleh! and the instrument wont sound as good, and it wont stay in tune as well.

I work at a music retailer....and let me tell you....nothing is worse then having to change the stings on an old guitar (usually classical, I hate the fuckers) and the strings haven't been change in 10, 20, even 30 years. ICK!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    When I break one, they all get replaced.
  • I never stick to this advice, but this looks wise:

http://www.guitartools.co.uk/guitar_string_installation_tips.html
  • Thorns2010 wrote:
    I work at a music retailer....and let me tell you....nothing is worse then having to change the stings on an old guitar (usually classical, I hate the fuckers) and the strings haven't been change in 10, 20, even 30 years. ICK!

Holy fuck. I change my strings once a week.
    I got a bass from my ex girlfriends step dad-AMAZING bass and an AMAZING sound. He hasn't changed the strings, let alone PLAY IT since the early 80's....and he's using strings that are FACTORY!!!! I still haven't changed them (mainly because I rarely play it since I play guitar) but it still sounds AWESOME. I'm nervous to change the strings though since I've never changed BASS strings-only guitar ones. I also don't know of any good bas strings out there.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I got a bass from my ex girlfriends step dad-AMAZING bass and an AMAZING sound. He hasn't changed the strings, let alone PLAY IT since the early 80's....and he's using strings that are FACTORY!!!! I still haven't changed them (mainly because I rarely play it since I play guitar) but it still sounds AWESOME. I'm nervous to change the strings though since I've never changed BASS strings-only guitar ones. I also don't know of any good bas strings out there.

Well, if it sounds good now...just think how it will sound when you do put new strings on it?!?!
    Oh man, no doubt!
  • Oh man, no doubt!

What kind of bass is it? Their are plenty of good bass strings you could put on, I usually use the Fender roundrounds or rotosound, both are good
    It's a Yamaha MB-Motion-III. I can't find it on harmoney-central.