Buying an American Strat..what to look for?

StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I'm going to be buying my first American Strat this month, an upgrade over my Squier I've used through my beginning stages of guitar.

Obviously, I'm going to want to play the axer first before purchasing, but my questions are to some of you experiences guys (and gals) in here, what is it I look for when testing out the guitars in the store? Any pointers would be great, thanks
MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Fretwork, how nice it feels along the edges, how good teh set-up is, whether it frets out between 16-22.

The difference between indicdual guitars in teh same model line will mostly be in teh fretwork, and that's where your hands spend the most time.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
    Fretwork, how nice it feels along the edges, how good teh set-up is, whether it frets out between 16-22.

The difference between indicdual guitars in teh same model line will mostly be in teh fretwork, and that's where your hands spend the most time.

fret out? Not sure what this means
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
    When you fret at 16 or up, the string may contact other frets further up teh neck, causing buzzing and preventing string vibration. The best made guitars have a gentle fall-away in the fretboard to prevent this, but very few do. To avoid it, you have to set the action a little higher.
    My LP frets out a bit, but I leave the action low for the rest of the fretboard. My KH-2 has a perfect low action, with no fretting out up top at all. Superior Japanese workmanship that is !!
    Actually, no joke, I prefer Jap guitars, I just bought a strat, and I chose a Jap one deliberately. The fact they are cheaper than Americans is just a smug bonus.
    My Gretsch is also Japanese made, and quality is perfect, absolutely perfect.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    My US Strat fretted out on ONE bend at the 18th fret. So I raised the action on that string slightly. I still love the guitar to death though!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    My US Strat fretted out on ONE bend at the 18th fret. So I raised the action on that string slightly. I still love the guitar to death though!

Hey,a guy in a shop yesterday was telling me that strats require ongong set-up every few months, what's your take on that ??
    Hey,a guy in a shop yesterday was telling me that strats require ongong set-up every few months, what's your take on that ??
    Hmm... If you mean adjusting action, intonation, etc, than ya, I could see that. Not major work, maybe 20 minutes at the most though, definitley not a full job.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638

to be honest, all guitars require that. especially in places with big climatic swings.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Meh, I've had my start set up once since I first got it, and that set up was definitely more than 5 years ago. Still sounds and plays fine as far as I'm concerned. My PRS, which I've had for about 3 years now, has not had a set up done since I bought it, and I've had no issues with it. I just got a Gibson LP a month and a half ago, and it is playing fine so far.

And I live in an area with crazy climate changes. (Virginia)
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i find intonations drift. so everything still plays fine but i touch them up periodically.

i get big humidity swings here. winter is dry, summer is wet. those changes require a little more work.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I try to keep my guitars in their cases during the winter and summer months when there are extreme climate shifts. I find that helps.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    So I'm going to be buying my first American Strat this month, an upgrade over my Squier I've used through my beginning stages of guitar.

Obviously, I'm going to want to play the axer first before purchasing, but my questions are to some of you experiences guys (and gals) in here, what is it I look for when testing out the guitars in the store? Any pointers would be great, thanks

Just out of curiosity, what color are you looking for?
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    DOSW wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, what color are you looking for?

3 tone sunburst
    3 tone sunburst
    My baby is 3 tone with rosewood, and I LOVE IT!!!!
    My baby is 3 tone with rosewood, and I LOVE IT!!!!

thats exactly what i'm getting!! haha, its so gorgeous
    I went vintage white, with maple board and spagehetti headstock, should be arriving in the post today, any second now.
    Was watching teh Curt Mitchell instructional DVD on Hendrix last night, so I'mm all amped, plus downloaded the TAb to Voodoo Chile Slight Return whihc I've been jamming on, so I'm all psyched for a big stratty weekend.
    I went vintage white, with maple board and spagehetti headstock, should be arriving in the post today, any second now.
    Was watching teh Curt Mitchell instructional DVD on Hendrix last night, so I'mm all amped, plus downloaded the TAb to Voodoo Chile Slight Return whihc I've been jamming on, so I'm all psyched for a big stratty weekend.
    That was my second choice! The white one they had just didn't feel right. I knew the second I played mine that it was THE guitar.
  • Beck..Beck.. Posts: 535

look out for made in america for starters.
    That was my second choice! The white one they had just didn't feel right. I knew the second I played mine that it was THE guitar.

Ah, teh guitar that calls to you. Always the one to buy. I'm handicapped by teh fact that my wife hates sunburst, even in HIstoric LP's, which is going to cause "issues" when I'm in teh uS next year shoppig for one, cos that's all they come in.
    My original Strat I had years ago was a trad sunburst as well, and I never didi get along with it. LAck of tuner and crap practise amp probably had a lot ot do with that though, and i'm putting it behind me.

I'm relying on being able to change stuff if there is something I don't lke. I will probably swap teh pups for something noiseless I would say. A mate has one with Bareknuckle Irish Tours as well, and they do sound VERY NICE !!!!

Gonna go and harrass teh mail lady now, see if it's here.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    If it sounds good unplugged it will sound fantastic through an amp.
    I never plug in when trying new guitars.

A strat is a pretty simple guitar. If set up well most of them play great. Poor fret work, or a truss rod that has been poorly adjusted will cause obvious problems. The body to neck joint should be checked to make sure there are no breaks, and to see if the neck is seated.

Have them unscrew the neck and check it as well. Strats and Teles are a piece of cake! Play 5 or 6 and you'll find a neck you love.

Les pauls on the other hand :(
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board