Help with Tubescreamer...

StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
edited April 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
So today I went out and bought the TS9, even though I already own a Blues Driver, because I figured they could do some different things and whatnot.

I've been jamming all afternoon, and the TS9 is great, I'm just struggling to find its place with the blues driver, finding differences. I guess I'm having a bit of buyers regret, thinking I bought the same damn pedal with a different brand name on it.

Any thoughts? Are there benefits and uses to having two OD's?

Thanks everyone
MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    So today I went out and bought the TS9, even though I already own a Blues Driver, because I figured they could do some different things and whatnot.

I've been jamming all afternoon, and the TS9 is great, I'm just struggling to find its place with the blues driver, finding differences. I guess I'm having a bit of buyers regret, thinking I bought the same damn pedal with a different brand name on it.

Thanks everyone
    I had THREE OD's on my board. I loved it! The TS-5 Tubescreamer, BOSS SD-1(moded for the SD-9 Sonic distortion), and the BD-2. Thus gave me a plethora of sounds which I loved. The Blue driver was a booster for a couple of pedals and my slight overdrive (mimicking a very hot tube amp on the clean channel). The TS-5 was my main overdrive and the SD-1 was for all out. I also had the amp's overdrive (which I've stopped using), and TWO DS-1's (one of them being moded for a Tony Iommi tone). You can used one of your pedals as a main overdive and another as a booster or 'special needs' pedal. For gigging it's a great idea to have two in case one dies on you.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    I have both the BD 2 and the TS 9 and both serve its purpose and are great pedals. The TS 9 is more of a clean bright sounding pedal, but if you crank the gain it awesome for leads with lot's of sustain. The BD 2 is also a great pedal and is very versatile. Great for blues, rock, and even lead.
  • StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
    Jam10 wrote:
    I have both the BD 2 and the TS 9 and both serve its purpose and are great pedals. The TS 9 is more of a clean bright sounding pedal, but if you crank the gain it awesome for leads with lot's of sustain. The BD 2 is also a great pedal and is very versatile. Great for blues, rock, and even lead.

if you don't mind me asking, how do you use these pedals so neither is neglected? In other words, what do you personally use both for?

Thanks
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I JUST bought a TS9, and so far, I really dig it. I loved my amps overdrive, so I just use the TS9 to push it over the cliff for solos. I dig it! It also is ALRIGHT on it's own. I tried it, and a BD-2, but liked the TS-9 a bit more because I heard a little more clarity. If I didn't use the amps overdrive however, the BD-2 would be my choice.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but quick question: Is it me or does the TS9 suck with neck pickups? It really soars well and sounds great on the bridge pickup of my strat, but the neck it sounds like, its missing power.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Dogman3 wrote:
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but quick question: Is it me or does the TS9 suck with neck pickups? It really soars well and sounds great on the bridge pickup of my strat, but the neck it sounds like, its missing power.
    Never had the problem...but ok
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I guess I'm having a bit of buyers regret, thinking I bought the same damn pedal with a different brand name on it.

Thanks everyone
    REALLY - I personally think the TS-9 and BD-2 sound completely different.
    The TS9 is much more trebbly, while the BD-2 is more round and tube-like (it's much more full and round to my ears).
    The BD-2 cleans up well when I back off on my guitar's volume, while the TS-9 stays relatively the same (just at a lower volume).
    I typically turn the tone on my TS-9 all the way up (I find it sounds too muttled unless the tone's near 5:00, but maybe it's just me).
    I use my TS-9 for more of a gritty tone with an edge, while I use my BD-2 for more of an articulate round tube-like tone.
    Here's what Robert Keeley says about the TS-9 and BD-2.
    TS-9: http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=5
    BD-2: http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=14

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    What settings do you guys use for your TS9/DX?

I got the Drive set at max, tone about 1/3rd of the way and level pretty high.
    Dogman what kind of amp are you running? Are you using it as a boost or a standalone?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    I use a Fender Blues Jr. I sometimes use it with my SD-9, most other times alone. It sounds great for leads, especially on the bridge pickup, but when I use it in rhythm in neck pickup, it sounds...flat.
    Dogman3 wrote:
    I use a Fender Blues Jr. I sometimes use it with my SD-9, most other times alone. It sounds great for leads, especially on the bridge pickup, but when I use it in rhythm in neck pickup, it sounds...flat.
    Ya, it DOES lack some punch.