Gibson LP Studio Guitar Question

PJfan444PJfan444 Posts: 7
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm in the market to purchase my first electric guitar after playing acoustic for 2 years. I went to a recommended music store and had a blast trying out a dozen or so guitars including Gibson, Fender, Epiphone and Paul Reed Smith. The one that has been on my mind since I've been home is a new Gibson LP Studio. It is a limited model with a natural wood finish and gold coloredhardware. The price is about $700 on sale, $1100 normally. I tried looking on the web to compare prices but can't find one like it. Does anyone know if this is a good price? The salesman said the hardware is equivalent to the pricier guitars, which makes it appealing to me. I'm ok with the natural wood finish.
Make love not war
9/22/96 Savage Hall, Toledo, 8/19/98 Breslin Cntr E. Lansing, 8/23/98 Palace, 10/7/00 Palace, 4/25/03 Cleveland, 6/25/03 DTE, 6/26/03 DTE, 10/2/04 Toledo, 9/12/05 J Labatt Cntr, London
9/13/05 Copps Col., Hamilton, 5/20/06 Cleveland, 5/22/06 Palace,
5/9/10 Cleveland
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Seems like a good price. If you like it, buy it!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • For a studio, I think that's a good price. If it plays well, and you like it, I'd jump on it.

I prefer Gibson studios over all their other Paul's, because of what you get for the price. Top notch rock guitar that you can actually play and not have to worry about putting it neatly back in it's display case when you're done with it. Stripped down Les Paul's rule hard.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    A Studio for $700 is a GREAT price if it's new. It is new, right?
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • i have a lp standard, and, though i'm careful with it, i want it to get a little beat up. no display case for me! collectors make me sick....these things were made to be PLAYED!

Hell Ya!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    good price, crappy guitr
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • seanw1010 wrote:
    good price, crappy guitr

You've gotta be careful not to overgeneralize.

With all factory produced guitars, and especially Gibson these days, each guitar is different.

Some blow, some are awesome.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    seanw1010 wrote:
    good price, crappy guitr

I was thinking of getting one too. why is it crappy?

I know it does not have the extra trim that the standard has and the pickups are different....though I've seen just as many people say they like the studio's 490/498 better than the standard's Burstbuckers. so with the $1300 price difference, the only other possible thing it could be is craftsmanship. are the studios sloppily made or made with cheaper parts?

if the tuners are a problem, I would definitely change out for Grovers for $50. but if there's problem with the bridge, unreasonably high action, bad frets, etc, I'd definitely pass.