Dr. Z amps

All Those YesterdaysAll Those Yesterdays Posts: 2,723
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anyone have any positive/ negative experience with these?
E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Anyone have any positive/ negative experience with these?

Lots, and it's all positive. Dr. Z is a good guy, and his amps are tanfastic. Which one are you shopping?

The only one I don't really love, is the Mini Z, just because it's not my thing.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Good, quality stuff!
    I would buy used as there are always mint condition Z amps in the emporium.
    You could check some dealers as well to see what they have in stock.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    JofZ wrote:
    Good, quality stuff!
    I would buy used as there are always mint condition Z amps in the emporium.
    You could check some dealers as well to see what they have in stock.

A J... this is the PJ Message Pit, not TGP. :D LOL

I get confused too.

Z makes great stuff. I really liked the Ghia, KT-45, and Presription. All very high quality stuff.

I agree to look for used as they do turn up.
    There's No Code.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I owned a Rt-66 for a while. Great amp. UPS destroyed my first one (#16!!!), and Mike replaced it without batting an eye. He's a stand up guy who builds one hell of an amp. His KT-45 is a beast too.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Lots, and it's all positive. Dr. Z is a good guy, and his amps are tanfastic. Which one are you shopping?

The only one I don't really love, is the Mini Z, just because it's not my thing.

Actually a friend of mine who has been looking at low wattage hand wired amps. Really into the Marshall 1974x, but its a one trick poney for $2,000.

any more for either of us its about power tube distortion not pre amp tube. So he is looking at the Maz-18 Junior.

At least these seem much more versitile and cheaper then the marshall.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

Actually a friend of mine who has been looking at low wattage hand wired amps. Really into the Marshall 1974x, but its a one trick poney for $2,000.

any more for either of us its about power tube distortion not pre amp tube. So he is looking at the Maz-18 Junior.

Tell him to look into the KT-45 and the Route 66 and Delta 88 as well.

They should be up his alley.

If he's looking for plexi type tones, these will deliver and then some.

KT45 is 45 watts and EL34 powered.

Route 66 has .....KT66's

The Delta 88 has KT88's for redonkulous headroom
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Actually a friend of mine who has been looking at low wattage hand wired amps. Really into the Marshall 1974x, but its a one trick poney for $2,000.

You can make one for around $800, They sound just as good if not better if you are good.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Actually a friend of mine who has been looking at low wattage hand wired amps. Really into the Marshall 1974x, but its a one trick poney for $2,000.

You can make one for around $800, They sound just as good if not better if you are good.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • moemoe6434 wrote:

Yeah we were looking into that too. Now he is leaning torwards the Dr. Z to have more tonal variety. That Marshal is so one toned, even though its amazing.

• Pacomc79 wrote:
    Tell him to look into the KT-45 and the Route 66 and Delta 88 as well.

They should be up his alley.

If he's looking for plexi type tones, these will deliver and then some.

KT45 is 45 watts and EL34 powered.

Route 66 has .....KT66's

The Delta 88 has KT88's for redonkulous headroom

Cool will check them out, the local store is a dealer.

Even though he still will lean towards the 18 watter. Reasoning is he isn't big on pedals, and lets face it 45 watts can be loud as hell. And our old deaf ears can't handle it.

Cool will check them out, the local store is a dealer.

Even though he still will lean towards the 18 watter. Reasoning is he isn't big on pedals, and lets face it 45 watts can be loud as hell. And our old deaf ears can't handle it.

ah, 32 watts is a good approximation as well in the Route 66. But the Maz is a great amp especially with the weber blue dog and silver bell combo.

I definately understand going lower, That's what I did with my Orange and it's still too loud for some applications.

House Loved his Carmen Ghia.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    ah, 32 watts is a good approximation as well in the Route 66. But the Maz is a great amp especially with the weber blue dog and silver bell combo.

I definately understand going lower, That's what I did with my Orange and it's still too loud for some applications.

House Loved his Carmen Ghia.

My buddy and I are both growing out of the Louder is better phase for sure. To much abuse you know.

No reason to try to blow past the P.A. like in years past.

And when it comes to jamming in the basement, we are all happier with an 18 watt tube amp cranked and my 50 watt bassman, then a 100 watt Marshall and a 300 watt SVT you know.

Plus the power tube distortion is just the most amazing tone.