Flat wound strings on a fretted bass

I've read about people doing this, but have anyone here tried it? If so what was the out come? What did you think? Was it worth it? How did it effect your tone?
E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BaetaBaeta Posts: 9
    Jeff Ament uses flat strings on fretted basses. I guess it´s the "yield tone"...
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    I've read about people doing this, but have anyone here tried it? If so what was the out come? What did you think? Was it worth it? How did it effect your tone?

a lot less highs, more sproingy. think old beatles bass tracks.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Whenever I play bass, I like flatwound strings. More 'bassy'.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • LikeLukinLikeLukin Posts: 29
    apparently they last a lot longer than normal bass strings. i read somewhere that on riot act jeff recorded with a bass that had the same flatwound strings on it as it did back when he was in mother love bone.
  • LikeLukin wrote:
    apparently they last a lot longer than normal bass strings. i read somewhere that on riot act jeff recorded with a bass that had the same flatwound strings on it as it did back when he was in mother love bone.

Yeah but he admits they are warn out as can be. You can do that with just about any string for a bass. Unless you play hard and have a tendancy to break strings.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/