Fender Custom Shop

All Those YesterdaysAll Those Yesterdays Posts: 2,723
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
So what do people know. Will they make anything for you, or are you extremely restricted? How much have you folks all spent?

Just wondering. Now that I've seen those Jag-bass's I'm thinking that would be the perfect bass for me. Jag body, single P & J pick up. Tone and a Volume, three color sunburst, rosewood fretboard with dot inlays, and the 70's headstock.
E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    So what do people know. Will they make anything for you, or are you extremely restricted? How much have you folks all spent?

Just wondering. Now that I've seen those Jag-bass's I'm thinking that would be the perfect bass for me. Jag body, single P & J pick up. Tone and a Volume, three color sunburst, rosewood fretboard with dot inlays, and the 70's headstock.

just get it direct from japan.

http://www.excite.co.jp/world/english/web/?wb_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ishibashi.co.jp%2F&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2

they'll sell internationally if you can figure out the system.

web-shop@ishibashi.co.jp

at most, a third of what the custom shop would charge you.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    they will build anything if you have the cash. And when I say if you have the cash I mean usually at or above 5K.

you can have stuff built cheaper elsewhere or in parts or what have you. For fender to put it's name on it, especially the custom shop on a custom piece master built, you're looking easily at 5K.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I've worked with them before. Count on at least an 18 month wait from the day that you place your order. Also, count on sporadic communication. If you have a particular luthier in mind, you will not only have to go CS, but Masterbuilt as well. That actually costs extra...to specify a particular builder in the CS.

Do I think it's worth it? Well...it depends on what you want to have built. If it's a strat or tele type, I'd say that you should only go Fender CS if you absolutely must have one of these guitars with a Fender headstock or logo. Say for instance that for whatever reason, you wanted a tele with a bubinga body and a korina neck (I wouldn't recommend this combination BTW...just pulling something out of my ass for example purposes), I'd go Fender CS because that's about the only way you'd have a chance at selling it if you ever had the urge. It would also cost the small luthiers a lot of $$ to score the bubinga/korina.

OR, if you wnted an American version of George Harrison's Rosewood Tele (or Jimi's rosewood strat...the lesser known of the two), I'd say go to Fender CS.

If you'd care to tell me about the guitar you wish to build in PM, I'd be happy to give you some better idea of whether or not you should go through the Fender CS. I won't list the names of the other builders who could build this type of instrument in public anymore, because of the crap that Fender tries to do to the mom and pop guys.

Needless to say there are cats out there who could build you a strat or tele that would blow the Fender CS away...same as there are guys out there who can build LP's so well that it should embarass Gibson to be putting out some of the crap that carries their logo.