new 5 watt 6V6 Fender

All Those YesterdaysAll Those Yesterdays Posts: 2,723
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2330100000

It seems things are looking way way cooler
E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    probably a direct result of the epi valve junior.

the 6V6 is appealing. the 6" speaker is not but at least you can go to an external.

i hate this obsession with gain though. more gain than the original. blah blah blah. personally, i'd like to choke down on the preamp gain and let the power tube have some fun.

but then again, i like low gain tone.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yeah cool idea, nice to have 6V6 back in the low gain cheapo realm and not just relagate EL84 to that duty.

I like the speaker out option too, the cabinet speaker is going to suck.

it's probably going to sound best at lower settings anyway since those type designs get flubby at higher ranges.....even the Dr Z mini Z sounds bad all the way up.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • 5 watt is Awesome, 6V6 is exactly what I want. I totally agree on the gain end, don't need that fizzy pre-amp tube drive. Don't need a lot of drive. I'd ignore the speaker in it and go straight thru to a red fang or something. It will have a simple circuit to dial in I'm sure (Like the Valve Junior)

I really hope this cheap, simple, low wattage thing catches on, and everyone starts doing it.

Valve Junior is killer, Tiny Terror (all though not cheap) is killer. Can't wait to try this little thing out!!! I'll just show up with my 2x12 cabinet at the dealer and work some magic (not with my hands of course).
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah cool idea, nice to have 6V6 back in the low gain cheapo realm and not just relagate EL84 to that duty.

it's probably going to sound best at lower settings anyway since those type designs get flubby at higher ranges.....even the Dr Z mini Z sounds bad all the way up.

i heard a clip of a bad cat mini cat the other day. this person actually thought it sounded good. it sounded like a fucking toy. same with the mini Z.

small speakers = toy.
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Have you seen the 112 cab for the valvue jr? Will blow this "toy" away.

:p
    sennin wrote:
    Have you seen the 112 cab for the valvue jr? Will blow this "toy" away.

:p

i'll be buying one as soon as it's available. i was hoping it would be a 12" and they came though. even if i have to replace the speaker i'll be ahead of the game over the avatar cabinet i was planning on.
  • retail price anyone???

i've been really dying to buy in the 1 to 5 watt range. tried a 70's princeton (i know, higher wattage actually) that killed with the volume at 4. the speaker was broken in just right, and there was no cleans to be had really.

my Vox ac15 is way louder then i want for home playing, so...

Had a champ, liked it, sold it, regretted it. didn't like MIni cat, MIni z is long gone from what i can find.

Considering:

1. Zvex Nano
    2. Orange Tiny Terror
    3. i guess new Fender!
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    retail price anyone???

i've been really dying to buy in the 1 to 5 watt range. tried a 70's princeton (i know, higher wattage actually) that killed with the volume at 4. the speaker was broken in just right, and there was no cleans to be had really.

my Vox ac15 is way louder then i want for home playing, so...

Had a champ, liked it, sold it, regretted it. didn't like MIni cat, MIni z is long gone from what i can find.

Considering:

1. Zvex Nano
    2. Orange Tiny Terror
    3. i guess new Fender!

How about a Valve Junior?
  • i tried one for about 30 seconds, but it was a combo, not the head, and the speaker left me with a bad taste in my ears, so to speak.

i'll try one again soon, but my sense of coolness is telling me a Nano is way better, because no one else has one. :rolleyes:
  • Ok, so how much is it?
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
    i tried one for about 30 seconds, but it was a combo, not the head, and the speaker left me with a bad taste in my ears, so to speak.

totally different beast with the right cabinet under it i think.
  • Can't find the cost yet, but I'm thinking they are trying to compete with the valve junior on this one, so I'd think under $200.

• exhausted wrote:
    i'll be buying one as soon as it's available. i was hoping it would be a 12" and they came though. even if i have to replace the speaker i'll be ahead of the game over the avatar cabinet i was planning on.

The dimensions on the avatar is much "bigger" then the valve junior (I'm guessing). The problem with the 1x12 avatar is that it's front loading. I'd still go with a cabinet manufacturer for a 1x12, rear loading cabinet.

I'm glad I went the oversized 2x12 route for my valve junior.

Thinking about trying to find an old Peavey classic cabinet with the single 15" in it.

• i tried one for about 30 seconds, but it was a combo, not the head, and the speaker left me with a bad taste in my ears, so to speak.

i'll try one again soon, but my sense of coolness is telling me a Nano is way better, because no one else has one. :rolleyes:

$99 for the valve junior head, a few bucks in resistors and capacitors and it sounds like a million bucks. Well worth the value. Almost worth having two of them.

Tiny Terrors sound awesome problem is that's $500, big difference then the $99 valve junior. Totally different monster though I know.

• Pacomc79 wrote:

I Think even if that Mini Z was running thru a 12" it wouldn't sound that hot. (Over rated)

• Does the Tiny Terror get into the same tone territory as the other Orange combos? I tried a couple different Oranges about a year back and was just blown away, that awesome growly gain, not thin or fizzy or oversaturated. well balanced between channels.

if i really thought it would get close to that same tone, i'd already have bought one. I just assume at that price that there are plenty of concessions made.
  • Does the Tiny Terror get into the same tone territory as the other Orange combos? I tried a couple different Oranges about a year back and was just blown away, that awesome growly gain, not thin or fizzy or oversaturated. well balanced between channels.

if i really thought it would get close to that same tone, i'd already have bought one. I just assume at that price that there are plenty of concessions made.

It's pretty versitile. But remember it's an EL84 head. Gets all the good vintage tones, but then can get over the top drive out of it also.

• WESWES Posts: 168
    really interested in this amp. I have been putting off getting a gain/overdrive pedal because I just don't care for the sound, plus anything worthwhile is probably in the 150-200$ range. A low watt amp such as this new fender could be an awesome solution and could get me the natural gain at lower volumes and be a great amp for recording as opposed to the traynor guitarmate im dealing with now. (Takes considerable volume to get that great overdriven vibe). Hopefully some price info comes soon.
  • exhausted wrote:
    i hate this obsession with gain though. more gain than the original. blah blah blah. personally, i'd like to choke down on the preamp gain and let the power tube have some fun.

but then again, i like low gain tone.

Yeah, but that's as easy as swapping in a 12AT7 or 12AU7. +1 on the 6" speaker... a 10" wouldn't have been too much more trouble, and a 12" would be a lot more appealing, especially to the blues-harp players out there. Still, the ext. speaker jack helps... I keep thinking about adding an external jack to the Vibro Champ.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.