Speaker doping

All Those YesterdaysAll Those Yesterdays Posts: 2,723
edited February 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
What's your opinion on speaker doping? Yea or Nea, and the reason behind it?
E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I think it's bullshit.

If we're gonna pay a speaker $2 million a year to play the game, and then they get another $2 million a year for endorsements, they shouldn't be sitting in some doctor's office taking steroids and human growth hormone and then lying to themselves, their coaches, their families and the US Congress. It's a disgrace to themselves and to the game.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    lol got a laugh out of me
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Ha ha MIG.

Speaker Doping... well. depends really. It's really a durability thing but it also effects tone.

Ted Weber is the guy to ask. http://www.tedweber.com he's got a few paragraphs on it and can probably answer a question easily in an email.

I think most people should go with a light dope to protect the surround.

I'll just do it for ya.

From Mr. Weber.

"Doping is the shiny goop you see on the surround of a speaker. Besides extending the life of the surround, it also acts as a shock absorber to help keep the cone under control at higher volumes. The downside is that it also dampens cone vibrations and therefore reduces the potential character and texture of the speaker. If you are going to bend/sustain notes in the area above the 10th fret on the high E string and at high volumes with heavy distortion, then you need the doping to help prevent ghost notes and cone cry that could result from the extreme cone vibrations. Othewise, I would get the speaker undoped. Many players prefer the raw, undamped tone of the undoped speaker and they learn to modulate their finger pressure when noting in the area that causes cone cry.
    Pre-Rola Treatment For this doping, the cone is artificially aged and chemically treated. Vibration dampner compound is also applied to the cone body and surround. "
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Ha ha MIG.

Speaker Doping... well. depends really. It's really a durability thing but it also effects tone.

Ted Weber is the guy to ask. http://www.tedweber.com he's got a few paragraphs on it and can probably answer a question easily in an email.

I think most people should go with a light dope to protect the surround.

I'll just do it for ya.

From Mr. Weber.

"Doping is the shiny goop you see on the surround of a speaker. Besides extending the life of the surround, it also acts as a shock absorber to help keep the cone under control at higher volumes. The downside is that it also dampens cone vibrations and therefore reduces the potential character and texture of the speaker. If you are going to bend/sustain notes in the area above the 10th fret on the high E string and at high volumes with heavy distortion, then you need the doping to help prevent ghost notes and cone cry that could result from the extreme cone vibrations. Othewise, I would get the speaker undoped. Many players prefer the raw, undamped tone of the undoped speaker and they learn to modulate their finger pressure when noting in the area that causes cone cry.
    Pre-Rola Treatment For this doping, the cone is artificially aged and chemically treated. Vibration dampner compound is also applied to the cone body and surround. "

yeah I was at his site prior to coming on here and posting. I guess the big question is What is considered high volume and and heavy distortion. I guess I'll just assume to go the light amount route, and if I have a problem I get it reconed with more. Just figured i'd ask everyones opinion.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/