2x12 cabinet manufactuers

All Those YesterdaysAll Those Yesterdays Posts: 2,723
edited December 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Need some help folks. Need links to manufactuers of 2x12 cabinets. Shopping for the cabinet for the valve junior. If they only make front loading style cabinets I'm not interested.
E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Try http://www.avatarspeakers.com

Lots of options on speakers, colours, etc..

I know Traynor makes a cheap 212 as well:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-80-Watt-2x12-Extension-Cabinet?sku=607105

I was thinking about that as a possibility to give my traynor the option of 410s or 212s.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • LOL, dude you have the 80 right?

I have always had a little thing for the Orange ones, I love their cabs
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Ya I have the 80q, got it cheap ($350 CDN) so I can't complain.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • +1 for the Avatar speakers. Great designs, decent prices, willing to work with you to get what you want.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • +1 for the Avatar speakers. Great designs, decent prices, willing to work with you to get what you want.

Glad your back around here MIG. They have verified with me that they are rear loaded (thank god!), and I'm pretty sure thats what I'm going with.

2x12 traditional style (Man that's a nice big cabinet), black with the wheat grille.

Going with a Red Fang and a G12H-30.

Now time to figure out what real mods I'm going to do to the Valve Junior. Not going to do the mods till the cabinet is in, and I put the tubes in I want. Then I will base all mods of that.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• Glad your back around here MIG. They have verified with me that they are rear loaded (thank god!), and I'm pretty sure thats what I'm going with.

Like I said, they are pretty cool folks. I'm still kind of wanting to get them to build me a convertable 1x12" cab with a Celestion Vintage 30 that I can pump my Vibro Champ (among others) into.

How you liking the Valve Jr so far? Bet it's no Vibro Champ. ;)
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Jeff Swanson all the way

http://swansoncabinets.com/

He built a custom 2x12 for me. It kills.

Check in the Amps and Cabs Emporium on http://www.thegearpage.net/board as you can find really great deals on their cabs. Hell, even buying new from their site is easily the best deal you'll find.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Like I said, they are pretty cool folks. I'm still kind of wanting to get them to build me a convertable 1x12" cab with a Celestion Vintage 30 that I can pump my Vibro Champ (among others) into.

How you liking the Valve Jr so far? Bet it's no Vibro Champ. ;)

Honestly I'm so dam'n busy I haven't hardly used it. But I like it. No Vibro Champ that's for sure, different worlds. The bass on the Junior gets flabby when it's getting cranked, but that's a quick mod, I just want to wait for the cabinet to get in before I start modding it.

I'm going to put one of my Jan Phillip 5751 pre amp tubes in it. They have a lot more head room before they start to distort. I want more power tube distortion earlier then pre amp tube distortion. The only draw back of the Junior is it's a EL84 (man I'm going to get slammed for that). Those things tend to get fizzy when they are pushed. That's the good thing about that Vibro Champ, those 6V6's sound good on kill!

You don't think a Alnico would be more suited for that champ then a Vintage 30?

• The only draw back of the Junior is it's a EL84 (man I'm going to get slammed for that). Those things tend to get fizzy when they are pushed. That's the good thing about that Vibro Champ, those 6V6's sound good on kill!

You don't think a Alnico would be more suited for that champ then a Vintage 30?

I never did care for EL84 amps. Just not my flavor. I've heard quite a few players use them, and sound good doing it, I just can't find the sweet spot. It's all playing dynamics. But I do love the sound of a 6V6 pushing hard... it's my second-favorite power tube, right behind a good Russian 5881.

The Vibro Champ has a beefy 8" Weber alnico in the cabinet, so I already have that base covered. Besides, while alnico's have a great sound, they can be a little boxy and too woody at times, whereas a Vintage 30 has a much wider sound to it. That's why I want a convertable-back cab, so I can use it open-back or sealed. Besides, the Vintage 30 is (IMO) the most transparent speaker out there for a guitar amp, makes it a great speaker to record thru.
  • Marshall makes 2x12s
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • I never did care for EL84 amps. Just not my flavor. I've heard quite a few players use them, and sound good doing it, I just can't find the sweet spot. It's all playing dynamics. But I do love the sound of a 6V6 pushing hard... it's my second-favorite power tube, right behind a good Russian 5881.

The Vibro Champ has a beefy 8" Weber alnico in the cabinet, so I already have that base covered. Besides, while alnico's have a great sound, they can be a little boxy and too woody at times, whereas a Vintage 30 has a much wider sound to it. That's why I want a convertable-back cab, so I can use it open-back or sealed. Besides, the Vintage 30 is (IMO) the most transparent speaker out there for a guitar amp, makes it a great speaker to record thru.

Lots of good punch out of a vintage 30 too.

• Marshall makes 2x12s

It would be over priced for what I want to do. I'm going to do two mixed speakers

• It would be over priced for what I want to do. I'm going to do two mixed speakers

This reminds me of the custom cab I wanted to build a couple years back. I wanted to put a pair of Celestion 10" speakers in the bottom of a cabinet, sealed, and then put a 12" Vintage 30 in the top of the same cabinet, open-backed. Give you the tight, punchy low-end of sealed 10's and the wide-open clarity of a V30 in an open-back.

Instead, I found an older Peavey 2x12 cabinet on eBay. It's a vertical 2x12 (one speaker above the other, not side-by-side), slant-top, like a 4x12 cut in half. The top speaker is open-backed, and the bottom is sealed. It came unloaded, so I put an Eminence Gov'ner in the top (a Vintage 30 clone) and an Eminence Swamp Thang (Peavey Sheffield clone) in the bottom. It's a rich, powerful, full-range 2x12. Very strong voice, fills any club, and is a perfect match to my Sovtek Mig heads. In fact, it's almost exactly the same width as the Mig, looks like a matched pair.

The best thing is, it's wired for stereo use, so when I'm recording, I can choose one or the other, and I made a custom Y cable to parallel the two speakers together for gigs or recording both speakers. When I'm a big rich touring rockstar, I can plug my two Mig heads into each side and run the cab in true stereo. It's easily the most versatile cabinet I've ever had.

I still want to make the 3-speaker custom wunderkab, though.
  • This reminds me of the custom cab I wanted to build a couple years back. I wanted to put a pair of Celestion 10" speakers in the bottom of a cabinet, sealed, and then put a 12" Vintage 30 in the top of the same cabinet, open-backed. Give you the tight, punchy low-end of sealed 10's and the wide-open clarity of a V30 in an open-back.

Instead, I found an older Peavey 2x12 cabinet on eBay. It's a vertical 2x12 (one speaker above the other, not side-by-side), slant-top, like a 4x12 cut in half. The top speaker is open-backed, and the bottom is sealed. It came unloaded, so I put an Eminence Gov'ner in the top (a Vintage 30 clone) and an Eminence Swamp Thang (Peavey Sheffield clone) in the bottom. It's a rich, powerful, full-range 2x12. Very strong voice, fills any club, and is a perfect match to my Sovtek Mig heads. In fact, it's almost exactly the same width as the Mig, looks like a matched pair.

The best thing is, it's wired for stereo use, so when I'm recording, I can choose one or the other, and I made a custom Y cable to parallel the two speakers together for gigs or recording both speakers. When I'm a big rich touring rockstar, I can plug my two Mig heads into each side and run the cab in true stereo. It's easily the most versatile cabinet I've ever had.

I still want to make the 3-speaker custom wunderkab, though.

That Peavey sounds awesome. Peavey did some fantastic things 20 years ago (even now, here and there). But the stuff from 20 years ago are just so few and far between to find in most cases. They had a 200 watt all tube bass head (my first love playing bass, just can't afford it!), that I've only seen one for sale in the past 7 years. Those T-40 basses and those T-60 guitars sound great, and play great (just heavey as can be). Those are easier to find. They even had some great sounded (I know) solid state amps from the 70's. I think those sounded so good just due to the components used back then. Sure you can't get that tube response with your picking but they were so so smooth and punchy. Same with those acoustic 360 bass pre amps, those sounded just fantastic, but they were solid state.

• enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    This reminds me of the custom cab I wanted to build a couple years back. I wanted to put a pair of Celestion 10" speakers in the bottom of a cabinet, sealed, and then put a 12" Vintage 30 in the top of the same cabinet, open-backed. Give you the tight, punchy low-end of sealed 10's and the wide-open clarity of a V30 in an open-back.

You should keep your eyes peeled for one of these...

http://www.budda.com/gear/cabinets/1210.html

Used, they can be had for a steal.
  • enharmonic wrote:
    You should keep your eyes peeled for one of these...

http://www.budda.com/gear/cabinets/1210.html

Used, they can be had for a steal.

Those cabs are kinda cool... definitely a great idea, which a lot of people will ignore (thinking 4 12s are better than 2 12s and 2 10s).

Gibson had a cabinet in their Goldtone series with a single 12" and a single 10", those were kinda cool. But I think the Goldtones were open-backed, and I really feel like you need 2 10s to compete with the 12".

My idea was mostly sparked by an old Mesa Boogie cab that I've always loved (but never owned or played thru). I would love to pick one of these things up, especially with the Black Shadow speakers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140068751197&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Fsofocus%3Dbs%26sbrftog%3D1%26from%3DR10%26submitsearch%3DSearch%26satitle%3D140068751197%26sacat%3D619%2526catref%253DC6%26sargn%3D-1%2526saslc%253D2%26sadis%3D200%26fpos%3D59812%26ftrt%3D1%26ftrv%3D1%26saprclo%3D%26saprchi%3D%26fsop%3D1%2526fsoo%253D1%26coaction%3Dcompare%26copagenum%3D1%26coentrypage%3Dsearch%26fvi%3D1