Bought another project

All Those YesterdaysAll Those Yesterdays Posts: 2,723
edited June 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Bought a Gretsch 5222 5 watt guitar amp. It's a combo with the 6V6 if case you don't know. Going to put a different OT in it so I can run it through all my 8 ohm cabinets. Also going to tweak the circuit (like the valve junior).
E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Finally had the time to replace the OT today (parts have been sitting on the bench for well long time now). Unfortunately when I was buttoning it back up and putting the chassis back in the cabinet I realized the new transformer is hitting the speaker. So I have to relocate the transformer now. Oh well it will wait for another day, cold beer is calling my name and steaks need to be placed on the grill!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• facemaskfacemask Posts: 6
    wish i knew all about amps and other gear...sounds interesting :D
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Finally had the time to replace the OT today (parts have been sitting on the bench for well long time now). Unfortunately when I was buttoning it back up and putting the chassis back in the cabinet I realized the new transformer is hitting the speaker. So I have to relocate the transformer now. Oh well it will wait for another day, cold beer is calling my name and steaks need to be placed on the grill!

nice, but you are using it sans speaker right? eventually? just cab out to the 8ohm cabs?

I'm kind of interested as to what this would be like with an AMT tremolo added too.... kind of like a champ plus tremolo.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I'm kind of interested as to what this would be like with an AMT tremolo added too.... kind of like a champ plus tremolo.

Oh, you mean a Vibro Champ?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    nice, but you are using it sans speaker right? eventually? just cab out to the 8ohm cabs?

Right now it's the stock 4 ohm 6" speaker (crap). But it will be replaced with the Weber Anilco for it.

Correct, the 4 ohm jack will be for the internal speaker (or even a external 4 ohm cabinet if I ever need to), and the added 8 ohm jack will be if I want to run a 8 ohm extension cabinet in lieu of the internal speaker.

I'll end up getting a 2x10 convertible cabinet sooner then later. 2x10 just for ease of moving around (for studio use).

AMT tremolo would be cool. Fender had some great tremolo in amps back in the day.

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404

kind of... the Electromatics are more blonde or late tweed era I think.... pre vibro champ.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104

Haha,,, MIG! Mr Vibrochamp man, I thought of you RIGHT away when, and also All Those Yesterdays, you've had me thinking about getting a little 5 watter like the Epi or Gretsch to solder things and mess up. Well couple of weeks ago, ~~~~~~~ *Dream Sequence*~~~~~~~~

I'm organizer of the big neighborhood cleanup in my part of the city. The city trash trucks come out on Saturday and everyone puts all their crap out on the street from rotten old clothes to concrete.

So there I was following along picking up disgusting stuff and heavy chunks of things from peoples' basements and winging them into the crusher on the truck.
    Under a pile of funky old paper and wet rotten clothes, a box with 3 bowling balls and a moldy corroded silverfaced Vibrochamp. I thought,,,, "MIG!"
    I took it apart and sprayed everything with the magic tuner cleaner lube and lighter fluid and it works and is great and is a 1968 model I do believe.

:D

Perfect for the rooftop!
    DSC06375.jpg
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • Haha,,, MIG! Mr Vibrochamp man, I thought of you RIGHT away when, and also All Those Yesterdays, you've had me thinking about getting a little 5 watter like the Epi or Gretsch to solder things and mess up. Well couple of weeks ago, ~~~~~~~ *Dream Sequence*~~~~~~~~

I'm organizer of the big neighborhood cleanup in my part of the city. The city trash trucks come out on Saturday and everyone puts all their crap out on the street from rotten old clothes to concrete.

So there I was following along picking up disgusting stuff and heavy chunks of things from peoples' basements and winging them into the crusher on the truck.
    Under a pile of funky old paper and wet rotten clothes, a box with 3 bowling balls and a moldy corroded silverfaced Vibrochamp. I thought,,,, "MIG!"
    I took it apart and sprayed everything with the magic tuner cleaner lube and lighter fluid and it works and is great and is a 1968 model I do believe.

:D

Perfect for the rooftop!
    DSC06375.jpg

Very cool grab! Way cooler then what I have for sure.

If you really are looking for something new to do mod's to go with the valve junior over the champ 600 or Gretsch 5222. Much easier board to work with.