Bass Strings

All Those YesterdaysAll Those Yesterdays Posts: 2,723
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've switched a tone over the years with lots of regrets. Was on a GHS kick for a long time. No matter what I stick with Nickle (usually .045's). I wish I could get my hands on (Don't laugh) Peavey Brand Nickle strings. Used to be able to get those at the local store not anymore. The '62 jazz gets flatwounds for the past two years now, recorded a few tracks with that bass and that set up, it's cool, but I think I'm going to get the flatwounds off it for the next record.

What brand strings do you bass player's use?
E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    THose Peavey ones are the same type our old bassist used. They seemed to work well.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I'd recommend you try DR Bass Strings.
    Almost all the bassists that I know that really care about their tone love DR Bass Strings.
    I had my bsssist try them once, and now he won't use anything else.
    I love their guitar strings, so it's not surprising to me.

You can also try D'Addario CHROMES Bass Strings - which are a Semi-Flat Wound String.
    These are a much more responsive and tonal string (very different from typical flatwound strings).
    I use their CHROMES guitar strings on my Archtops - won't use standard flatwounds ever again.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    There's probably been more classic records made with Rotosound Swing Bass strings than just about anything else.
  • SwitchSwitch Posts: 119
    Dean Markley's. I don't remember the gauges too well, i think .40 .60 .80 .100
  • drtyfrnk29drtyfrnk29 Posts: 846
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    I'd recommend you try DR Bass Strings.
    Almost all the bassists that I know that really care about their tone love DR Bass Strings.
    I had my bsssist try them once, and now he won't use anything else.
    I love their guitar strings, so it's not surprising to me.

- Ian

DR does make a good set of bass strings. I used to wear 'em out, then boil 'em and string up again. Great sound.
    I'm so dangerous I smoke dynamite.