The Reverend is finally home!

All Those YesterdaysAll Those Yesterdays Posts: 2,723
edited July 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well the wait (and delay) is over, and my 2 P-90 daredevil is finally home. Finally gave it it's break in this morning.

There was actually a note from some one at Reverend apologizing for the delay included in my guitar case. Thought that was sort of nice.

Anyways, finish was flawless, neck feels awesome, not to fat for my little hands, I could go for some fatter frets, but I'll live with it. Thru on a set of dunlop strap locks already. Need to get used to the strap location on the back of the body, makes the body stick out away from my body more.

Plugged it into the Valve Junior thru my 2x12 avatar cabinet, no effects, just guitar through amp. P-90s sound amazing when they are clean, or when that amp is on kill. Smooth, extremely quiet (I'm not lieing there). I'm sure some one makes a noiseless pick up somewhere, but these are going to get the job done very easily. Surprisingly the pick-ups don't sound muddy when you rull the volume back. Sounds good, cleans the amp up nice.

I'll throw the OCD in front of it on Wednesday at the studio. Won't make the HP EP, but will be on the full length, which we will be jumping right in, as soon as we mix it.
E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Awesome. I'm looking at a P-90 guitar, and that's on the list!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Awesome. I'm looking at a P-90 guitar, and that's on the list!

There are sound clips on there website of their pick-ups.

Right now Reverend has a couple P-90 guitars on there website that were demo's etc., that are marked down. Might be worth a look.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    nice, glad it finally made it home. I'd like to hear the EP and full length when you get them done.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    nice, glad it finally made it home. I'd like to hear the EP and full length when you get them done.

Cool, I'll keep all posted. It's looking like the EP will be sent out to be pressed at the end of July. It's all analog recorded, on 1" reel to reel (used 2" reel to reels are still super expensive). Analog mixed, no motorizeds faders on the board, so that takes time. Mixing has finally started speeding up sense we had the room's frequency's balanced. For the first time what we hear in the studio, pretty much is what we hear on any other cd player else where.

Possible looking at a used '59 bassman high bred from my buddy next. He got the amp, (chassis only,) for $200 on the bay. Put a hand wound transformer in it, and set it up in a cabinet with 2x12's in lieu of the 4x10's. Vintage 30's, sounds killer, I need some clean head room and that's the amp that fits what I need. Rather have just a head version but that's the way it goes sometimes

nice, that 5F circuit is pretty similar to the low powered Tweed Twin so that's a hell of a lot cheaper way of doing it.

If you want a more fendery tweed tone you might try some webers that's what fender is putting in thier tweed twins anyway.

The bassman circuit is also the basis of Jim Marshalls original designs so if you rebiased for EL34's with the V30's you'd pretty much wind up with JTM 45 type tones.

I happen to like vintage 30's. :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    nice, that 5F circuit is pretty similar to the low powered Tweed Twin so that's a hell of a lot cheaper way of doing it.

If you want a more fendery tweed tone you might try some webers that's what fender is putting in thier tweed twins anyway.

The bassman circuit is also the basis of Jim Marshalls original designs so if you rebiased for EL34's with the V30's you'd pretty much wind up with JTM 45 type tones.

I happen to like vintage 30's. :D

Vintage 30's are killer. I was a big fan of my 2x12 with the vintage 30 and the G12H30, to I played thru a 2x12 both with vintage 30's, that's when I saw the light for sure!

Really the JTM 45 is what I want, OCD will work good with it, but it's all about the cost. I've looked into making one, but it's still pretty steep.

That bassman I can swipe for about $650. Still have some time to think about it all.

Vintage 30's are killer. I was a big fan of my 2x12 with the vintage 30 and the G12H30, to I played thru a 2x12 both with vintage 30's, that's when I saw the light for sure!

Really the JTM 45 is what I want, OCD will work good with it, but it's all about the cost. I've looked into making one, but it's still pretty steep.

That bassman I can swipe for about $650. Still have some time to think about it all.

yeah, that's a steal.
    Just try rebiasing the bassman your buddy built for EL34's and see how that works for you. I'm sure the preamp is a bit different, but it's worth a shot.

greenbacks would make it a little more bluesbreaker than the cleaner V30's but it should be damn close.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah, that's a steal.
    Just try rebiasing the bassman your buddy built for EL34's and see how that works for you. I'm sure the preamp is a bit different, but it's worth a shot.

greenbacks would make it a little more bluesbreaker than the cleaner V30's but it should be damn close.

Yeah the problem with the greenbacks is the $200 price tag a pop, instead of $75 thru avatar. But tone does cost money

Yeah the problem with the greenbacks is the $200 price tag a pop, instead of $75 thru avatar. But tone does cost money

yeah geez. oh well, that's not some kind of immediate need anyway. You've got solid stuff to work with now.

I'm finally off the Direct Drive. I decided this weekend. It's getting sold, I'm probably getting an RC booster and then I start down the long long road of fuzzes I have to buy. Of course this is all held up by the 330 dollars worth of electronic and hardware upgrades on my strat........ it's only money, we can always get more.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah geez. oh well, that's not some kind of immediate need anyway. You've got solid stuff to work with now.

I'm finally off the Direct Drive. I decided this weekend. It's getting sold, I'm probably getting an RC booster and then I start down the long long road of fuzzes I have to buy. Of course this is all held up by the 330 dollars worth of electronic and hardware upgrades on my strat........ it's only money, we can always get more.

RC boosters are very cool.

A billion fuzz pedals to pick from. Its a treble boost but the Java Boost (Keeley), has a nice mild fuzz to it.

Money, yeah I need to find me some of that regularly. Wife and the house gets in the way sometimes.

Need to finalize the bass rig too.

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I'm not sure how the thread made it this far without but here goes:

Let's see some pics!
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Novawind wrote:
    I'm not sure how the thread made it this far without but here goes:

Let's see some pics!
    I am keeponrockin, and I fully support this message.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I am keeponrockin, and I fully support this message.

Yeah these will have to wait till possible Wednesday. I won't get home tonight till late.

But I'll get them up, sorry for the delay!

I love how everyone here always begs for pics of OUR guitars, not someone elses on the net!
  • I love how everyone here always begs for pics of OUR guitars, not someone elses on the net!

It's all good. I'll make sure she looks pretty for her photo shoot.

• Okay all, here are the pictures. I apologize I didn't have time to clean it up, and we don't have that great of a digital camera. But I think you get the point.

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa15/onelastcast76/

Okay all, here are the pictures. I apologize I didn't have time to clean it up, and we don't have that great of a digital camera. But I think you get the point.

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa15/onelastcast76/
    Awesome job man!
  • Awesome job man!

Thanks, now just need to get this stuff mixed, so the new stuff can be started and I can actually use that guitar on something.