Car audio?

All Those YesterdaysAll Those Yesterdays Posts: 2,723
edited September 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I figured I'd give this a shot in here, maybe someone is a car audio guy or girl.

I have a 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD. The stock radio has a cd player. It also has a auxillary button, but it has no auxillary plug in site. I'm wondering if there is a way to run my MP3 player thru the radio.

What do you folks know? Any one know how to take the radio out to get to the back?

Thanks in advance.
E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    I had the dealer install the aux in line. Totally worth it. I hated trying to find a radio frequency without static.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • surferdude wrote:
    I had the dealer install the aux in line. Totally worth it. I hated trying to find a radio frequency without static.

What kind of dollars are we talking?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    It could be on the back of the unit, but you would have to pull it to tell.

Occasionally there are RCA's on the back of units in which case you would need simply a mini plug to RCA, then enough cable to reach out of where ever you run the cable from the back of the radio.

If it's that simple probably between 45 and 60 bucks + cable cost for them to pull your unit plug it in and put it back together. If you check out your trucks manual, they might have a description of what kind of leed your Aux requires.

oh, wait, found it, here you go.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AmU35VNuDKp/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=50900&I=469GM12AX2

if you already have an AUX button however, chances are it's got RCA's already, so it might be worth it to check that first, if you're comfortable with a few tools you might think about doing that yourself to save some installation costs.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    What kind of dollars are we talking?
    It was about $150 Canadian including all the taxes.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    It could be on the back of the unit, but you would have to pull it to tell.

Occasionally there are RCA's on the back of units in which case you would need simply a mini plug to RCA, then enough cable to reach out of where ever you run the cable from the back of the radio.

If it's that simple probably between 45 and 60 bucks + cable cost for them to pull your unit plug it in and put it back together. If you check out your trucks manual, they might have a description of what kind of leed your Aux requires.

oh, wait, found it, here you go.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AmU35VNuDKp/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=50900&I=469GM12AX2

if you already have an AUX button however, chances are it's got RCA's already, so it might be worth it to check that first, if you're comfortable with a few tools you might think about doing that yourself to save some installation costs.

Thanks Paco, Yeah I'll end up doing it myself. Just need to find out how to get the radio out.

• For most vehicles there's a plastic front panel piece, these usually just have rivets that pop out when you pull on them. Then there should just be 4 screws on the sides of the radio. Although I think some cars are different, all 3 of my cars I've put decks in had that.

Although it varies quite a bit from car to car, pictures would help and I could give you better advice.

and Pacomc is correct, if there's an aux button there's a good chance it already has rca outputs on the back.

PS, you can buy a decent cd player with a 1/8" aux in for the price most places will charge to install an aux line. Best buy sells rca to 1/8" cables for about $10.

Car audio is extremely easy to wire by the way. Sometimes the location makes it more difficult due to a small working area, but 90% of the time it's just red wire to red wire, yellow to yellow etc. etc.
    Even if you have to wire it from scratch it's pretty simple.
  • Jooooosh wrote:
    For most vehicles there's a plastic front panel piece, these usually just have rivets that pop out when you pull on them. Then there should just be 4 screws on the sides of the radio. Although I think some cars are different, all 3 of my cars I've put decks in had that.

Although it varies quite a bit from car to car, pictures would help and I could give you better advice.

and Pacomc is correct, if there's an aux button there's a good chance it already has rca outputs on the back.

PS, you can buy a decent cd player with a 1/8" aux in for the price most places will charge to install an aux line. Best buy sells rca to 1/8" cables for about $10.

Car audio is extremely easy to wire by the way. Sometimes the location makes it more difficult due to a small working area, but 90% of the time it's just red wire to red wire, yellow to yellow etc. etc.
    Even if you have to wire it from scratch it's pretty simple.

Thanks I actually had the radio out last night already. It does have the auxillary input on the back. I've thought about the aftermarket radio way too, but I'd have to be the kit to fill the big hole in the dash too. Then I'd have to go out and buy new speakers (yes I'd have to, because I'm anal like that!!!!!!).

Thanks for all the help guys. Just need to order the stuff now.