Options

fingering question

Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
my girlfriend's just too tight...

Ok, seriously I'm not virtuoso but I don't think I'm tat horrible at guitar. I think my problem is I didn't take any lessons or read any books other than chord positions and such...so I decided to try and learn a song I like and am having trouble with the fingering

The main problem is on the B and G strings. The B string stays at the 3rd fret for most of it but the G string goes up and down. The biggest problem is when they are both on the third fret...things just get too cramped and I screw up that and the progression of 33, 32, 30. It looks easy enough but I just can't make it flow right coming from higher up on the G string. Do I use the same finger when they are both 3? It seems like the easiet way to do it and then just slide that finger down to only the B but I figure maybe since I never really learned the proper ways maybe I'm just missing something and going for the easiest (incorrect) route...does any of this make any sense?

thanks
don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    That wasn't the question I planned on answering...

Anyways, so it's like this?:

E
    B-3--2--0
    G-3--3--3
    D
    A
    E

Or like this?:

E
    B-3--3--3
    G-3--2--0
    D
    A
    E

Either way, I'd fret both strings with the middle finger on G and the ring finger on B. Put the index finger on the 2nd fret on the right string (whichever one above it is) and just pull up, pull up. So if you walk down the B string, it's ring finger 3rd fret, index finger 2nd fret, then open. If it's the G string, it's middle finger 3rd fret, index finger 2nd fret, then open.

And to answer the original question... trace the alphabet, man.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    It's the 2nd illustration...thanks.

I guess it just takes practice...I was trying it the way you suggested before I posted but I keep sliding the index finger down instead of my middle finger for some reason and then pulling the middle finger to open...maybe because for the part before that I have the my index finger on the B so I can go higher on G and then pull forward to middle on 3 and index on 2.

thanks
    don't compete; coexist

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

• Options
    This sounds like the adapted version of "Thumbing My Way" for standard guitar... is that what you're learning?
  • Options
    nah, it's a Radiohead song...I wish it were as slow as TMW. Like I said the problems only happen when I switch my finger position. I tried the progression very slowly and it went a lot smoother...I guess with a little practice I could've avoided this thread
    don't compete; coexist

• Options
    Huh... the adaption of TMW is exactly like this...

Well, just keep practicing... good luck.
  • Options
    Originally posted by GlorifiedG
    my girlfriend's just too tight...

Ha ha ha ha, that's what i thought the thread was about. I've got a dirty mind.
  • Options
    nah, it's a Radiohead song...

Paranoid Android!!

What did I win, what did I win?!? :D

I know what part you're talking about... it's a bitch. All Radiohead songs are bitches. At first you think, 'no sweat', after a while you go 'you bitch!'

If you can't get it right, there's always the girlfriend...
  • Options
    You could always try it first on the girlfriend... if she doesn't mind, of course.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pearlwax
    Paranoid Android!!

What did I win, what did I win?!? :D

I know what part you're talking about... it's a bitch. All Radiohead songs are bitches. At first you think, 'no sweat', after a while you go 'you bitch!'

If you can't get it right, there's always the girlfriend...

yes, that fucking Jonny Greenwood can be a major bitch! Damn him and his talent!! Altho like with Ed's guitar parts Thom's are really easy, like Follow Me Around.

I temporarily gave up on Paranoid Android for the much easier Scatterbrain and In Limbo
    don't compete; coexist

• Options
    Altho like with Ed's guitar parts Thom's are really easy

That opening riff to Paranoid Android isn't what I'd call 'easy'
  • Options
    is that thom on the opening? The opening isn't that hard, I use my thumb for the E string

e
    B
    G
    D
    2-2---2-2
    A
    8-8----0-0
    0-0-1
    E--8-8----8-6-6-6----6
    6-3-3
    don't compete; coexist